• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK herps, 2013 (1 Viewer)

Slightly off-topic but SA's pic of Sand Lizard shows an abrupt change in colour on the tail. Does this indicate its been dropped and regrown?

I quite often see lizards with such discoloration but on complete looking tails. I was told many years ago that regrown tails are usually rather stumpy, is that total rubbish?

John

I quite often see lizards with such discoloration but on complete looking tails. I was told many years ago that regrown tails are usually rather stumpy, is that total rubbish?

John

I guess it depends on where in the tail the break occurred or the species of lizard in question. However, regrown tails can certainly be more stumpy or a different colour to the original tail. In my experience this is especially true in various geckos and skinks.

I guess it depends on where in the tail the break occurred or the species of lizard in question. However, regrown tails can certainly be more stumpy or a different colour to the original tail. In my experience this is especially true in various geckos and skinks.

Thanks Mike.

Such abrupt changes are very frequent at e.g. Thursley (where Common Lizards are easily found in good numbers on the boardwalks) and I've been meaning to ask but forgetting, for ages. The regrown tails, if such they are, seem always to be brownish and unpatterned, whatever the colour and pattern of the rest of the animal.

John

newt id?

After about 8 years of waiting since we took the fish out of the pond, a newt has arrived!:clap: Just brief views so far, and a couple of record shots, but is there any chance anyone can id it from these, please? Probably either palmate or smooth, but is it possible to tell without seeing the full throat?

Attachments

• newt videograb (20-06-2013 18-20).png
    newt videograb (20-06-2013 18-20).png
    184.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Newt resized.JPG
    Newt resized.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 87
After about 8 years of waiting since we took the fish out of the pond, a newt has arrived!:clap: Just brief views so far, and a couple of record shots, but is there any chance anyone can id it from these, please? Probably either palmate or smooth, but is it possible to tell without seeing the full throat?

I would confirm palmate or smooth but you need more of the animal. For smooth you may need to see the underside but you could make a positive palmate ID if you can see palmations (webs) on the hind feet.

John

I would confirm palmate or smooth but you need more of the animal. For smooth you may need to see the underside but you could make a positive palmate ID if you can see palmations (webs) on the hind feet.

John

Many thanks, John. We went with a torch later, and were able to see it feeding on the slaters in the pond, and saw the back feet- Smooth newt.

This is a later photo, is it any more use, John? If not, I'm loathe to net it just to name it, we'll just watch for a better view. There's plenty of food available, as you can see!

Attachments

• Newt id.JPG
    Newt id.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 108
This is a later photo, is it any more use, John? If not, I'm loathe to net it just to name it, we'll just watch for a better view. There's plenty of food available, as you can see!

You're not kidding about the food!

Here's an idea: put a mirror on the bottom of the pond.

John

Catch it in net, place in pyrex dish with pond water in, lift up and look at underside, or watch the side of dish as it tries to climb out.
I think I am leaning towards female smooth.
Definitely not a great crested newt.

I'm probably going to be in Surrey this weekend, mainly to look for brilliant emerald, while there I would quite like to look for sand lizards. Ant tips on the best Surrey sites - by PM if you feel it's more appropriate - would be much appreciated.

I popped down to Regents Canal today (10.30 to 12.00) & saw 1 Aesculpanian Snake. I will post the exact location if wanted when I get home later today.
Cheers, Simon

Sorry for the late posting. Beer, Rugby & work got in the way of doing so earlier!
If you walk along the canal past the avery heading towards the Chinese restaurant, go under the bridge. The metal railings bend in & when they bend back out count 24 of the larger paving stones (once the straighten up) & I saw it at the bottom of the dense vegetation. I have posted the pictures I managed on Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/sinlw

Below are a couple of pictures taken to help getting to the place where I saw the snake!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373225665.382982.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373225681.645629.jpg

Cheers, Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back