• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding cuckoos? (1 Viewer)

I'd just hang around a reed bed with Reed Warblers in it (assuming you have one nearby) - there are still cuckoos knocking around the reed beds near here this week. I've been seeing them in the early morning, but I don't think time of day is that important.

Adrian

I've still got to find one this year - been stuck working six days a week since early March so not much spare time left for birding :storm:

I have a week off starting next Saturday *2nd June* so am planning on getting out and about as much as possible - it's not too late to hear the cuckoo is it?

No it's not too late to see them. I heard some only two days ago. As for seeing them it's so frustrating. I got lucky and saw one as it moved over water from one reed bed to another. I would suggest getting to some lakes near to you with a reed bed, and getting to a place where you can see down onto them. then wait till you hear the blighters and zero in on the sound. If no lakes near you then tougher still is the woods. Here they can hide a lot but you could be lucky if you get to a clearing or better still the wood edge over feilds. They tend to sit at the top of bushes / trees, so scanning might help. Good luck.
Henstooth

i heard one last night and saw 2 seperate cuckoos 1 was near the mill at flatford and one along the sea wall at brantham

As your in Yorkshire try North Cliffe woods near North Cave. I saw one there about a month ago and he was still there on saturday when I visited again. It's on the heath at the back of the woods

When you see one, Pete, you'll see more soon after. I've seen twenty-four different cuckoos now this year. Remember they often 'cuckoo' in flight, so have a scan as soon as you hear the call. As well as Reed Warbler, they also parasitise Meadow Pipit, so moorland edge can be a good place to look for you.

Graham

Just like buses eh? None for nigh on two/three years then THREE at once!!! :'D

I was on the coast at Druridge Pools on Sunday (and Monday & Tuesday!) looking for the elusive pair of Lesser Scaup *got them eventually!* and had a male fly over my head closely followed by a rather angry Meadow Pipit!!!
Then further on had cracking views of another male flying over the pools towards the reed beds :t:

It's been FABULOUS hearing and seeing them after so many years :cool: Before Sunday I hadn't heard any for two or three years and hadn't seen one since the late 80's :eek!:

Cuckoos on Mull

We were on the Isle of Mull during their recent Wildisles Week. Whilst cycling down the forest track to view the famous Sea Eagles I heard and the spotted two cuckoos, male and female presumably, calling and displaying on the wing. I had only seen, my first, solitary cuckoo the previous week in Ireland so I was excited and impressed at the same time by this unexpected treat. We hadn't gone looking for cuckoos so I guess luck will always play a part. Hope you are as lucky as wew were.

Dave

They ARE fabulous birds aren't they Dave :t:

And, seeing as it's your first post on BF, welcome to the site :hi:

Best warn you though....it's terribly addictive and you'll end up like the rest of us - tapping away on the pc instead of out birding!!! :-O

it's not too late to hear the cuckoo is it?

Hi Gill,

To answer the above question; no you've still around another month to find them and relish in the changed song with that beautiful bubbling sound. We have them on the Levels and always see and hear them in Scotland. Anywhere near water are usually the best places, but we've seen them perched on fences and low trees on moorland. Keep scanning and watch for in-flight ones, singing as they go. I adore that haunting sound and just wish their numbers would pick up.

Good luck all,

Sue.

We have had a few Cuckoo's in Crown Lakes Farcet Peterborough
They have been around for A Few Weeks only saw them in flight
once ............

Hi Gill,

To answer the above question; no you've still around another month to find them and relish in the changed song with that beautiful bubbling sound. We have them on the Levels and always see and hear them in Scotland. Anywhere near water are usually the best places, but we've seen them perched on fences and low trees on moorland. Keep scanning and watch for in-flight ones, singing as they go. I adore that haunting sound and just wish their numbers would pick up.

Good luck all,

Sue.

Agree the Levels are a good place, during my otterless fifteen hours in teh Meare Heath hide last week I saw 2 males and a female that was sitting in a bush on an island in front of the hide looking for Reed Warbler nests.

John

I saw my first Cuckoos' last Saturday morning at RSPB's Stumpstaw Fen near Norwich. It's an ideal site for 'Cuckooing' having read the posts above. Prime Reed Warbler country!

One hanging around Lourdes golf club. Seen it twice - my last two rounds. A real treat shame not too many birdies on the course (sorry).
Other birds on the gold course - Squacco Heron(!), Booted Eagle, Griffon Vulture, Serin, Red and Black Kites, Black Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker, Common Sandpiper etc........

Had FANTASTIC views of a male flying by at Harthope Valley today :clap:

Crazy.....I don't see them for years and now I've had FIVE in the past fortnight!!! :'D Perhaps I'm just getting my 'eye' in on what jizz to look out for :loveme:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back