• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Email prog for windows 7 (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I have been using outlook 2002 on my XP machine for years now but have just read that it is no good for windows 7 (I am taking delivery of a windows 7 PC soon). From what I read windows 7 does not come with a email program although there seems to be several free ones around - can anyone recommend one please. I would need one that I could import my .pst files if possible.

Easy I think Roy. It's so long ago now I can't remember. I migrated it all across to my new laptop without problem.

There's quite a few on here that use it I think, and there's also a Mozilla forum where you can ask for help.

Easy I think Roy. It's so long ago now I can't remember. I migrated it all across to my new laptop without problem.

There's quite a few on here that use it I think, and there's also a Mozilla forum where you can ask for help.
Thank again Delia, I already use Firefox so it makes sense to use another Mozilla prog.

Thank again Delia, I already use Firefox so it makes sense to use another Mozilla prog.

Hi Roy
It seems we are both upgrading our systems at the moment. I was using Windows XP and a fan of Outlook Express (which is obviously no longer available). From the research I did, looking at new email clients for both Windows and Mac, Thunderbird came out as one of the best for both operating systems. I am just getting to grips with it but it seems to do the job well.
Hobbes

Whilst Windows 7 doesn't come with a email program. Windows Live Mail is a free download from Microsoft. It will import settings and messages from Outlook Express. The XP to 7 import tool is good.

Thunderbird is good, but if you are going to use it the easiest way is to install Thunderbird on your XP machine and it will import the OE settings, you can the export this Thunderbird settings to Thunderbird on your new machine.

Whilst Windows 7 doesn't come with a email program. Windows Live Mail is a free download from Microsoft. It will import settings and messages from Outlook Express. The XP to 7 import tool is good.

Thunderbird is good, but if you are going to use it the easiest way is to install Thunderbird on your XP machine and it will import the OE settings, you can the export this Thunderbird settings to Thunderbird on your new machine.

My wife has some problems with the live mail client on her W7 machine. When we get time we will see if Thunderbird is better.

Just one example of a little irritation: I have been used to being able to drag an attachment from a received mail message to a new one, doesn't work in LM.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back