• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Horned Owl/Camera in trunk. (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
I got a nice surprise yesterday. My boss said I can get an extra day off. I woke-up real early today, and set off for a quite morning of birding. I headed West to Pickerel Creek, near Sandusky, Ohio. Pickerel Creek is a huge marsh, with several unkempt trails leading to Lake Erie. It also has a very nice observation platform. I decided to start here. I climbed the platform with camera, scope, and bins, and was greeted straight away by a Caspian Tern. I thought this had promise. There were several Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons too. Not much else was in the marsh or flying by.

I decided that maybe I would focus a little on insect photography for awhile. Right down the street was Blue Heron Reservation. Sam and I have been here a few times. Not much in the way of birds, but I remember it was very, very buggy. I thought maybe a nice close-up of a Mantis would be fun. I turned down the small, empty road that leads to the park, when I spotted something flapping on the ground to my left. My God! It was a Great-horned Owl. As I approached, I could see it had a fresh kill. A snake. I was able to get just a few feet from it. My God what a pic this would make. I reached for my camera, only to have the sinking feeling that I left it in the trunk. Cursing myself for making such a stupid, novice mistake, I rolled down the road to open my trunk and retrieve my camera. As soon as I opened the door, the Owl took to the trees, carrying his lunch with him. I ran down and managed to get one pic of it in the trees. What an opportunity I missed!

The rest of the day was pretty quite. Just the usual suspects in their usual places. I guess photographers, like anglers, will always talk about the one that got away...

Mike

Attachments

• owl.JPG
    owl.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 100
Your story illustrates the First Law of Bird Photography, which is, phrased however you wish, that the best photo opportunities Always occur when your camera is not available. I'm sure the birds are totally aware of this and act accordingly :)

Mike
Hard luck! but a great find!

it looks like a powerful creature.

The title of your post threw me a little........

I thought the photo was going to be a close up of the bird in its tree trunk nesting cavity ...... :h?:

(as you probably know "we" call that part of a car "the boot")!

Regards Stevie.

Not a total loss It's a keeeper shot. We could take you to the Cleveland Clinic and have the Fugi grafted to your hand. You have learned anytime anywhere
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back