• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thumbnail Quiz (1 Viewer)

Andy Wraithmell

aka Limeybirder
With nothing better to do than tax the brains of fellow birders here are 5 thumbnails of shorebirds for you to have a crack at.

Be careful number 3 was taken near dusk and the sunset was very orange.

My only other clue is Eastern USA. :eat:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 180
lou salomon said:
short-billed dowitcher
sb dowie or ?
least
dunlin
no idea - a peep?

short-billed dow - correct
incorrect
incorrect
dunlin - correct

6 is the same bird as 3 taken a few seconds later, Ive added 7 just to make it more confusing!!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
lou salomon said:
the right bird seems to be a western sand but is it the same as the left one (no 3)?

like Baird's, Western Sandpiper is an extreme rarity in the NE USA during spring. 3, 6 & 7 are all Semipalmated Sandpipers. 3 & 6 are tricky due to the light and the dark appearance of the bird. It is probably a male and looks chunky. Semi's double there body weight in the Delaware Bay (where I took these pics) so during late May/ early June they often look a bit porky. Some of the individuals we caught for banding weighed as much as 45 grams! Typically when they arrive in New Jersey they weigh around 20 grams. This weight gain is achieved in about 2 weeks and changes their overall shape and jizz considerably. Male Semipalms (easy to ascertain through bill and wing chord measurements) often appear darker than the larger females. Here are two pictures of a male and female (left) Semipalmated Sand.
Nobody has gotten number 2 correct yet - a species more familiar to europeans than yanks!

Attachments

• SESAbillfem.jpg
    SESAbillfem.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 118
  • SESAbillmale.jpg
    SESAbillmale.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 117
Michael W said:
How about Hudsonian Godwit? :D

Limeybirder said:
Nobody has gotten number 2 correct yet - a species more familiar to europeans than yanks! :D

no I hope european birders wouldn't be too familiar with Hudsonian Godwit as I think its only occurred on that side of the pond 1 or 2 times.

Keep trying guys, even though its in a diffcult pose thought it wasn't that hard but I know what it is!!!! :h?:

Michael W said:
Curlew Sandpiper perhaps? (I know one was there because I've seen your photo of it)

correctimundo yep its the same male Curlew Sand I photgraphed at Nummy's Island in Cape May. One of two birds present and found on World Series day. o:)

heres a thumbnail of the other bird, if you look in the first pic the male is at the top of the pic, I tried real hard to get them in the same frame but they mostly kept away from each other. :-C

Attachments

• CUSA2.jpg
    CUSA2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 136
  • CUSA3.jpg
    CUSA3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 97
lou salomon said:
oh, shoot, i knew it...haha - semipalm, male with long bill? :clap: :clap:

The females actually have longer bills Lou. There is considerable overlap between the eastern Semipalms and Western Sandpipers, which breed in Alaska. Alaskan Semipalms have shorter bills so they aren't competing for the same food source as the predominant Western whilst on the breeding grounds. Eastern Semipalms have got it all to themselves so they have longer bills, some females (like the one in the thumbnail) have Western like bills, which often causes confusion.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back