• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sunny Summer Evening (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

A Sunny Evening in N.E England
A warm breeze helped lift the Kestrel family up over the pond
They've only been airborn a couple of days, but it was plain to see that these youngsters were ENJOYING themselves. Gliding and calling excitedly as they test their wings and hone the skills that they will come to rely on if they are to survive.
One youngster hovers 10m above the nest site - (an old crow nest overhanging the water about 12m up in an old Crack Willow) - then drops down to join a resting sibling, at the nest.
Around the corner the Mute Swan family have started to move too, only at a more sedate pace. They are resting at a puddle in the middle of a dirt road 100m from the pond! Perhaps theyre on a visit to relatives nearby...? Anyway the Cob has a go as i quickly sqeeze past, its powerful wing just skims my calf.

There are Families everywhere, it appears to have been a good breeding season so far. Others seen with young include Willow tit, Long tail tit, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Goldfinch, Chaffinch.
Nearby a pair of Redshank cause a commotion every time Anything moves! They have four young at the waters edge. Fledged Lapwings rush past with raggy primaries.

The FAVOURITES THOUGH ARE RIGHT ON CUE !

The cock Blackbird scolds and makes a dash away, the male Kestrel shreiks out too.....

Its 20.00 and the adult Long Eared Owl slips out from a line of mature Ash and Crack Willow, and hunts imediately.
It quarters the open rough fields in broad daylight, then melts away into a thorn thicket.
The Leo's have their family here too, and the young dont give their parents a moments rest. Their calls give away their locations- one is well seperated from the others by about 100metres and sits on a dying Elderberry branch. He can fly, buts still has a load of downy plumage! He beats about looking very odd.
These birds have already been led to the field edge by the parents over the last two weeks, from the nest site some 300m away. Parts of which will have been a scramble rather than a flight.

The second adult calls but remains hidden, its sharing this line of a dozen trees with the Kestrels and also a Tawny Owl, so its probably acting as watch dog. Quite appropriate given some of its calls.

Adult one is back with prey and the tone and tempo of the single juv. changes as the Ad. comes in. This youngster is silent for a while now.
The other two become noisier, calling regularly sometimes turning position so it appears the group is larger than is. One makes a noisy move, hidden by scrub, then it flaps out onto a fence post, giving the begging call as it goes. A Tawny was sat on this same post last week but theres no sign tonight.

The elderberry bird flaps along the hedgeline and momentarily startles a Roe Deer

A Grasshopper Warbler gets started with short bursts of reeling - But thats one Family Group i doubt im going to see.....?

This is what birding is all about, just goes to prove it does not have to be a mad chase to see a rarity,but an appreciation of a well worked patch and an enjoyment of your local birds that can give so much pleasure. (of course its nice to find something special and i hope you do). Good luck with the Gropper.

Fantastic Steve!

Loads of demanding young 'uns round our end too - but I'm not as good as you at getting the message across.

Cheers!

I watched some young Great Tits this morning (5am) and they are quite confusing, look like a cross between a large Blue Tit and a Marsh Tit!

How wonderful!!

I'm visiting a friend tomorrow on a lake about an hour north of here, and know I will at least be seeing baby Red-Headed Woodpeckers, nesting on her property.

We're going to visit a local state park with terrific birding, and another preserve a few miles away where it's possible we might find young Sandhill Cranes!!

I just wish we'd have a sunny evening! We haven't seen sun for more than 5 minutes in the last 4-5 days, it's unseasonably cool, and 'way too rainy.

A person could get depressed about all this!!

Steve: that was a great read and an excellent descriptive piece. Very well observed, too. Thanks a lot.

Wish i could type faster, then i would be able to put some detail into it!

*Cuddy. Pair of Black Necked Grebes this morning at 06.30, - these are better than any lost & weary migrant to me.

*Birdman. Have your LEO's got a family on the go?

Also this morning good views of singing Lesser Whitethroat on top of Sycamore sapling.

Better though was a pair of tremendously noisy Redshanks on fenceposts only 8 or so metres away from us, it was obvious that they were guarding youngsters, (one was seen) but could not understand why the adults didnt fly, when we were so close? (Sentinal of the Marshes etc)
Untill, on an adjoining fenceline we noticed a Cuckoo sitting motionless. It wasn't obvious what was happening untill the Cuckoo took flight in front of us.
The two sentinals took off like Cruise missiles and joined by Meadow pipit & Linnets chased the Cuckoo off over the Lake.
I am confident that the Redshank pair simply mistook the Cuckoo for a Falcon, and waited for it to take to the wing before launching their defence.

On a sadder note though, the fields adjacent to the Leo's & Kestrels are getting built on soon.

Been up onto Northumberland Coast to look at SOMEONE ELSE'S BIRDS (Twitching), but i've got to say the White Winged Black Tern is an absolute GEM , full summer plumage!

It's nice to see another member from the Northeast. Welcome to Bird Forum Steve.

You have a great writing style making your reports very interesting to read.

I guess I'll have to have a trip up your way maybe Thursday or Friday to see the Black necked Grebes if they are still around by then and see if I can catch a glimpse of the LEO's.

steve what a really brill summer stroll, almost like bieng there
not a bad list, more please.
bert

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back