• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID: Small Black bird with some White on head - SW England? (1 Viewer)

saiko

I saw this in my garden the other day (I live on the Cornish coast). It was very small, about 3 inches long, completely black, apart from its face which was white. I've got a large book on British birds but I can't find it in there.

Hi saiko,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators a warm welcome to Bird Forum :t:

From the description this maybe a Pied Wagtail? Some are a greyish body, but others are a striking black and they have a white face.

If it's black on it's back, then likely to be a male pied wagtail, like the first one on this page:
http://www.tonykeenebirds.co.uk/bbirds/piedwagtail.html
Females and juveniles are grey, while white watails (like the one in the link from Marmot) have much lighter grey backs. They're both subspecies of the same species, Motacilla alba with the most common UK residents (pied)being the subspecies M. a. yarellii and the contiental ones (white) being M. a. alba. The further East or South you go, you get different subspecies again.
They're fairly common, especially near large flat areas with some water, but equally car parks.

saiko said:
I saw this in my garden the other day (I live on the Cornish coast). It was very small, about 3 inches long, completely black, apart from its face which was white. I've got a large book on British birds but I can't find it in there.

Hi and welcome to Birdforum!

Strictly speaking don't think any of the 'suggestions' fit the 'description' exactly. Although you may well find it turns out to be one of them if you check them out (Especially pied wagtail!).

Did you notice anything else about the bird? Like-

Where was it- eg , on the ground or in the trees, bushes, rooftops?

Did you notice its tail? What was it like?

Did you notice anything else about it eg legs, bill, wings etc etc

How long did you watch it for?

And what was it doing?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I think it must be the pied wagtail. I found this photo which is fairly similar to the one I saw. It was late afternoon and raining slighty when I saw it which may have made the bird appear even darker. My bird book is quite large but the pictures it has of pied wagtails are much lighter than the one I saw, so I didn't recognize it the book.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back