• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and head for PF65 ii (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Ready to pull trigger on a PF65 ii now just need to get tripod and head. Figured on a 701hdv head. Tripods have been looking at. Manfrotto 055xprob or. 190xprob. Will either fit the bill? Other suggestions in price range

055 might be unnecessarily heavy duty. Also check v your height. I've got one and it's just a bit too tall for me (5ft 10 "). I have to slightly drop the legs to see comfortable with and PF65 A - would probably be perfect for the straight version ....

John

I use a 501 HDV with a feisol 3301 with my 65eda. I believe the 501 is too much head for the 65 and the 701 will be ideal with the light weight feisol.

Yeah, I think the 055 is more than you need for the Pentax. It's a real honker of a tripod. I'm 5'9" and, like John, don't even extend the legs all the way, much less need to extend the center column. That's with angled scopes anyway.

You might consider the 190XB with 128RC head. It's still plenty of tripod for the Pentax. B&H has the kit for $200, Eagle Optics $209. If you're concerned about carrying weight there's a carbon fiber version of the 190 as well. That one's on my short list. Right now, B&H seems to have just about the best prices on Manfrotto legs.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back