• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (19 Viewers)

Uplifing song

Dont suppose it can match a sandpiper. but a cuckoo calling here tonight is the 1st in 3 years!! Have back door open, listening away: Bliss for the Vale of York!!!

Cuckoo from yer kitchen beats a sandpiper Paul, what I wouldn't give to get cuckoo on my garden list.

I saw 23 cuckoos last week :eek!: Oh and the massive sea crow attached.

What I wouldn't give for a little owl or a green woodpecker or a yellow wag! And then one of the visiting tykes finds some Slow Worms...

Looks like things in Yorks have started to pick up with some good rares at last. Must be a mega lurking somewhere...

Attachments

• catch crop720_filtered.jpg
    catch crop720_filtered.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
im really gripped of :eek!: been at work for 3 hours the evening, and my dad had 3 beeaters on the wires at the end of our road!! at about 8pm, i hope they have settled down for the night and will be around in the morn

I saw 23 cuckoos last week :eek!: Oh and the massive sea crow attached.

What I wouldn't give for a little owl or a green woodpecker or a yellow wag! And then one of the visiting tykes finds some Slow Worms...

Looks like things in Yorks have started to pick up with some good rares at last. Must be a mega lurking somewhere...

i'd swap the slow worm for the big lump attached to the fish!

Pics of the first couple of days in speyside.

Attachments

• crestedtit2.jpg
    crestedtit2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 132
  • GSW.jpg
    GSW.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 128
  • slowworm.jpg
    slowworm.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 101
  • slavgrebe.jpg
    slavgrebe.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 121
Went to weardley near harewood and saw 4 red kites, then went over to Fairburn Ings, saw lots of Coots and their young, Moorhens, Chaffinches, a grey heron, mute swans and a shellduck on the main lake. There wasnt a great deal to be seen but thats probably because of the heat.

Had a day at Bolton Abbey and the Strid and such. Managed to see a wood warbler quite close up and didn't need the bins for it. Despite hearing plenty of singing I saw only one redstart and one male pied fly but a couple of females. Had spotted fly, cuckoo, little owl, stonechat and the usual birds. Tired and sunburnt but quite satisfied.

The local cuckoo has pitched up finally - 3 years running it has landed in late may. Heard him getting worked up at 4am i guess in the small reedbed about 100m away.

Local patch reward

Finally got lucky when I stumbled on this female Red-backed Shrike on my local patch last night. Reckon I've earnt it after 24 years! A memorable moment.

Alan Whitehead
duffbirder.blogspot.com

Attachments

• Red-backed Shrike 011.jpg
    Red-backed Shrike 011.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Red-backed Shrike 024.jpg
    Red-backed Shrike 024.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Back