• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringing new-born chicks (1 Viewer)

Stoggler

Getting to grips with young gulls
I've been watching the peregrine nest on the webcam in Brighton (here) and I was wondering at what point to ringers ring the chicks? And how do they manage it without being mobbed by the parents?

Thanks

I've been watching the peregrine nest on the webcam in Brighton and I was wondering at what point to ringers ring the chicks?

With the nest being under constant surveillance, the timing can be chosen to be the most efficient. The largest chick will need to have development no further on than primary feathers just starting to emerge. The smallest will need to have sufficient size for the ring to be able to stay on (yet still be a comfortable fit when adult). Ringers at the site may decide to make two visits if the disturbance of the best developed chicks on the second visit is not likely to be problematic.

And how do they manage it without being mobbed by the parents?

My own limited experience at diurnal raptor nests (including a few Peregrines with both eggs and young) is that the adults stay well away. However, some owls can become aggressive, and I've heard that Ural Owl is particularly dangerous.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back