• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nigeria! (1 Viewer)

tapaculo

Mildly Obsessed
Given that Nigeria has such a terrible reputation among travelers, I am trying to spread the word that I had an enjoyable visit and did some exciting birding while there for a business trip recently. Spent about 4 days of serious birding, in Okomu National Park and at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Ibadan. The attached document gives some a summary and logistical information.

Attachments

• Nigeria TR 2.doc
    238.5 KB · Views: 425
Very interesting to see a positive report of Nigeria, Stephen. Anywhere with Black Bee-eaters and either rockfowl must be worth visiting. But Nigeria does get a very bad press. I remember reading one African site guide which said something on the lines of "No birder in their right mind would visit Nigeria because it is hell on Earth." Fascinating stuff, Stephen.

E

You must be referring to Nigel Wheatley in his bird-finding book on Africa; "Although Nigeria has one of the most diverse avifaunas in Africa, no one in their right mind would recommend birders to take a trip to this country, until violence and corruption are stamped out and the infrastructure is greatly improved." Considering the difficult places he does send people to, that's pretty shocking. And I am told it's a lot more risky getting to the highlands from the Cameroon side.

Yes, sitting in the treetops with many Black Bee-eaters, Hartlaub's Ducks, and a Guinea (Green) Turaco in sight, and Yellow-casqued Hornbill thundering by, was well worth the hassles of travelling there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back