• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White/tan duck-Louisiana (1 Viewer)

tmarie623

My friend bought a home that backs to a small pond and since then a duck has appeared and adopted her! It's a love hate relationship--the duck seems to have taken her as its property! Anyways...she lives in Louisiana and has mentioned a few behaviors. It doesn't leave for more than a couple days at a time. It will fly to a neighboring pond less than 1/2 mile away but doesn't seem to fly well. It will sometimes have another duck with it in their pond but is usually alone. It is quite domestic and runs/flies to her back door in the morning. As far as color goes it is almost all white with some tan. I have seen the mention of Amesbury or Pekin...is this possible ID? I'm really into bird ID but I never really got into ducks. The behavior is quite strange--she is truly concerned that the duck would go after someone if they were visiting. Let me know what y'all think is going on with this overprotective duck! Danis duck.jpg

For id, I think this is a domestic type mallard; the escape may have happened in this or in a previous generation.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back