• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bristol to Ruppell's Vulture (3 Viewers)

Here are some photos:

1. Spotted Redshank at Aiguamolls, 2. Scarce Swallowtail near Aiguamolls, 3. Map near Ax, 4. Lammergeier at Candanchu, 5. Vagrant Emperor at Aiguamolls.

Attachments

• spottedredshank.JPG
    spottedredshank.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 48
  • scarceswallowtail.JPG
    scarceswallowtail.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 53
  • map.JPG
    map.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 56
  • lammergeier.JPG
    lammergeier.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 55
  • vagrantemperor.JPG
    vagrantemperor.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
listers are capitalists

Don't worry, it's not political. Just an amusing insight that has come to light, that Nicky has been teasing me with since Coto Donana. The concept has been much in evidence around here today whilst looking for butterflies.

It all started with this conversation at Coto Donana-

" Did you manage to get a good look at them then?"
"No, they kept swimming away, and were too far away in the end."
"Oh well"
"They'll just have to be coots, with a small c"
"Uh?"
"You know, coot sp, rather than Coot or Crested Coot"
snigger snigger " That's what it's all about really isn't it? What you birders do. You're only finally happy when you've capitalised things. You are actually capitalists."

So much merriment has since been derived from conversations like-

"Shall we carry on then?"
"Well I'd like to get a better look at this chiffchaff"
" But you know it's a chiffchaff"
" Ah, but it hasn't sung, and I was wondering if, though it's obviously a chiffchaff, it might not be a Chiffchaff.."
" You're such a capitalist!"

Round here I have resigned myself to the impossibility of capitalising any of the wood whites, but am pretty confident the grizzled skipper we saw (pictured below at what's probably an uncapitalisable angle) was a Grizzled Skipper. There were some big noncapitalisable fritillaries hurtling past too. At least there were also some more easily capitalisable characters like Scarce Swallowtail, Green-veined White, Map, and Orange-tip too. Mallow Skipper just made it into the capitalised initials world.

31. Grizzled Skipper
32. Dingy Skipper
33. Chequered Skipper

pics 1. Dingy Skipper, 2. Grizzled Skipper

Attachments

• dingyskipper.JPG
    dingyskipper.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 54
  • grizzledskipper.JPG
    grizzledskipper.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Well what could we do? We'd already had one go more than we were going to for ...er...Thingies, but with an offer like that from Rosbifs, we just couldn't resist the diversion.

On the way westwards we picked up 2 Hobbies, our first for the trip. We didn't get to Luz St Sauveur until late afternoon, and were promptly met by Rosbifs and his folks. Rosbifs kindly offered to run us up to the spot where he'd pinned down some Snowfinches a couple of days previously, at the ski station at Super Bareges, just below Col du Tourmalet. As we started the walk up the line of the chairlift, it started snowing. The Thingies were determined to put up a fight even now! There was no sign of them at the 5th pylon, where Rosbifs had found them before, but everything that moved gave us a start: Yellowhammers, Black Redstarts, Water Pipits, Wheatears: the usual fayre in the haunted life of the perpetual thingiesman. The going was steep, but the snow underfoot was manageable, and the falling snow was contributing to an already dramatic backdrop.

We'd not continued much further in our search, before Rosbifs picked up a hurtling flyover Thingy. At last! My first view of a Snowfinch, albeit not a particularly satisfactory one. A pretty distinctive creature though, appearing very different to any Snow Bunting in the way it flew and it's shape. We covered a fair bit of ground before the weather improved and we eventually picked up a distant bird on a wire. We were able to approach it until we were right underneath it, and could watch it til we'd had our fill. Just as we turned to leave, it was joined by another brighter-looking bird which put on a bit of a display, and the two of them flew around a bit, vocalising and putting on a decent and very satisfying show for us. It was a really memorable couple of hours that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the generous help and great company of Rosbifs, and therefore Birdforum too!

After a beer in a local bar (Rosbifs' restaurant is closed during the off season period), we parted company and headed back down the valley to the woods on the steep slope above Soulom, where we spent the night. Rosbifs had informed us that all the Pyrenean woodpeckers are just about possible there, even (though unlikely) White-backed. We only managed Great Spotted, but a few singing Wood Warblers was a great bonus, and we had a flyover Lammergeier too.

All this woodpecker-orientated stuff meant that when we realised that we could actually delay another day before heading north, we couldn't resist trying one more site in the Pyrenees. Rosbifs had heard that the Foret D'Arudy was a good bet for White-backed Woodpecker, and gave us directions to this site, which is south of Pau, and west of the town of Arudy. We've failed to see the lilfordi form of this bird (a potential split) in spite of days of searching elsewhere previously, and I was keen to give it another go.

We headed west out of Arudy on the D918 and after a few km took the road south, sign posted to the foret D'Arudy and a view point. It's properly sealed to the edge of the forest, then a bit rough when it starts to climb. We parked just off the track about 1km inside the forest, and spent the night among the majestic big beeches. Next morning we only birded on foot up the road for a further 4km or so, and probably didn't quite make it to optimum White-backed Woodpecker habitat. The road would be easily drivable in a car, but we didn't fancy putting more stress on the van. I only managed Great Spots (heard and seen) and Greens (heard) until we were nearly back at the van, and then at a point about 2km into the forest we struck bronze and bumped into a Black Woodpecker.

Come on Larry, even my girlfriend can find Snowfinches ;)

How you doing for Black Woodies these days Ads? ;)

We also saw several Firecrests here, and our first Goldcrest since the UK. I'm hoping that Rosbifs will sus out the area in the forest where the White-backs are lurking at some point, and we'll revisit this beautiful spot in search of them.

Heading north today (May 7th) we bumped into a Black-winged Kite not far north of Pau, and some wood whites at a very late lunch stop. Looking at the range maps, it looks like no-one's found any Real's this far west in France, so I'm going to capitalise them. Wood White. We're now under a railway bridge by the banks of the Garonne, just east of Agen. The air is full of mayfly type things, and there was a gang of 8 Hobbies out hunting insects low over the river all through dinner. Also a Night Heron, a couple of Common Sandpipers, and a couple of sweet friendly teenagers who advised us to move round the corner to avoid being moved on by the police. What a wonderful world. SNOWFINCH!

255. Hobby
256. SNOWFINCH
257. Wood Warbler
257. Black Woodpecker

34. Wood White

Attachments

• snowfinch1.JPG
    snowfinch1.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 74
  • snowfinch2.JPG
    snowfinch2.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7751.JPG
    IMG_7751.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 49
  • woodwarbler.JPG
    woodwarbler.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Congratulations Larry!

The "it started snowing" had me on the edge of my seat....adding yet more suspense to your ripping yarn.

Delighted that "the bird whose name should not be mentioned" gave up in the end.

Cheers.

Shi Jin

Good work. Went for my bird that doesn't exist in the aforementioned wood today. Got 10minutes from turn off and it started xxxxxxxx down! This is not in the gods for me?!!?!.

I walked from about 1100m to 700m (probably about 6km) altitude i the rain. Not a sausage. A very distant black calling. Then at 500m a great spotted. Seems i'm still foloowing you!

Another day in the woods.....

Glad you got the Black Shoulderd kite on way out. 50 pairs now roundabouts.

How many Wood Warblers do you reckon? Will head down there before the weekend (had to choose today).

Safe onward trip.

Ps going to ooen this weekend. End of hols....

Well done on the doctored Snowfinch / House Sparrow photo ;)

Seriously, its been great reading your trials and tribulations and really pleased you connected. Fair play indeed to Rosbifs. :t:

central France

Thanks for all your comments. Shame I can no longer tease BBB about Black Woodpeckers. I'll just have to see a Black Grasswren before he does to get some ammo :-O. Reckon it was at least 5 singing Wood Warblers Rosbifs, but that might be a big underestimate. Glad it was a nailbiter for you there Shi Jin, it was for us too! And yes DMW they were just over-exposed Chaffinches. Over-exposed to a few million years of evolution ;).

In keeping with time honoured tradition of "Bristol To..." threads, the trip list has to keep marching until we get back to Bristol I'm afraid. We've travelled fairly quickly up through France, and have hit a couple of areas of interest and added a few bits and bobs.

Today we have wussed out entirely and decided to splash out 7 euros for a campsite by the Loire at Chateauneuf. It's a slippery slope from here to hiring guides and in-field optics de-smearing staff, but it does mean hot showers, wifi, and a riverside pitch with great views of some sandy and shingly islets where we can watch some cool birds. These include an Osprey, Common and Little Terns, Little Ringed Plovers, Blue-headed and White Wagtails, a nice adult Med Gull and a couple of Yellow-legged Gulls with the Black-headeds etc. I actually had no idea that Little Terns bred in central France, but there are quite a lot of them along this stretch of the Loire, presumably breeding?

Last night's park up at Decize, further south on the Loire, produced some Night Herons and our first Rooks since the UK, and also some Banded Demoiselles, Blue-tailed damselflies, and White-legged Damselflies. In fact it was all rather almost english, except for the Night Herons, and I suppose the Black Kite, the Serins, the Short-toed Treecreeper, and even the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Nightingale.

An interesting area that we discovered further south was in the Lot valley region. Rocky outcrops with deep river valleys around the Cabreret area on the D41 were great to explore on our bikes. Here we had the trip's only Spotted Flycatcher so far, and a singing Common Redstart. I didn't know what the Redstart was until I saw it, and it's supposed to be a common british bird. Doh. I wonder how many other british birders wouldn't recognise the song of a Redstart or say a Whinchat, but would be able to ID, say, a juv Semipalmated Sandpiper if they saw one? Just a thought. This area also had Bonelli's Warblers, breeding Alpine Swifts, Crag Martins and Cirl Buntings, and a decent number of butterflies.

Of a few Pale/Berger's Clouded Yellows, one unfortunate individual had been hit by a car and was mostly ticking Pale Clouded boxes. There was also a gorgeous fresh Glanvillle Fritillary, a couple of Small Blues, a few Sooty Coppers, Scarce and Common Swallowtails, Wall, Common and Holly Blues, Orange-tips Green-veined and Wood Whites.

Dragonfly interest was provided by freshly emerged Club-tailed Dragonflies (Common Clubtail) and Beautiful Demoiselles.

258. Spotted Flycatcher
259. Common Tern
260. Little Tern
261. Osprey

35. Pale Clouded Yellow
36. Glanville Fritillary
37. Sooty Copper
38. Small Blue

4. Beautiful Demoiselle
5. Club-tailed Dragonfly
6. Banded Demoiselle
7. Blue-tailed Damselfly
8. White-legged Damselfly

Attachments

• cirlbunting.JPG
    cirlbunting.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 52
  • glanvillefritillary.JPG
    glanvillefritillary.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 48
Larry, not sure which way you are headed home, but there's some good birding in the Loire valley around Saumur (Little Bustard, Rock Sparrow etc) and Angers (big Corncrake population). Let me know if you'd like further info and I'll see if I can dig out my notes.

5 wood warblers is great here - even as an underestimate!

I went and got one although it was after 8pm. I had one in the wood about 4 years ago and they were recorded in 2009 in the same place. They only breed in very few places in the pyrenees (probably not found rather truer picture).

On a promise for the white backed next week - being taken to active nest. Shame that my first won't be my 'own' but after miles of trekking i'll take a pig and a poke....

Glad you had a wash - joke - and found some interesting places north of here. An amazing trip so far and one many would love to emulate i'm sure.

Rosbifs
Ps battleur found again near tarifa - is that too far to turn back for...... Going black shouldered kite hunting tomorrow.

Bristol to Rüppell’s Vulture – the less adventurous sequel

Stirred into belated action by Larry's and other reports, my wife and I have just returned from a 'quick' raid on the Portuguese Rüppell's Vulture, combined with sweeping up a few birds that we hadn't seen on previous visits to the Iberian Peninsula.

We took an evening flight from Bristol to Lisbon, and arrived at Portas de Ródão at around 10:00 the next day. Despite a long and very hot vigil – alternating between the upper and lower viewpoints, and scrutinising every Griffon Vulture arriving at or departing from the colony – there was no sign of the bird by 18:30 when we reluctantly left to find accommodation in nearby Castelo Branco. Another watch from 08:00 until 11:30 the next morning also drew a blank.

Rather downheartedly, we headed east into Spain. Our spirits were at least partly restored on arrival at Monfragüe – as soon as we climbed up to the castillo, we were greeted by White-rumped Swifts making close flypasts (our previous visit many years ago had been too early in the spring for these late migrants). As a bonus, later in the afternoon we enjoyed our best ever views of Spanish Imperial Eagle – an adult circling low over Portilla del Tietar.

We spent the next morning mostly birding the steppes between Trujillo and Cáceres, and then headed north to Piedrahíta at the foot of the Sierra de Gredos for two key targets in this beautiful area. We'd arranged to meet BirdForum's Motmot (Eduardo Amengual), and we enjoyed a pleasant dinner and a few beers together in the plaza. Eduardo advised us to make a dawn visit to Puerto de la Peña Negra (the summit of the road that traverses the Sierra de Piedrahíta) for unspotted Spanish Bluethroat (azuricollis). Next morning we drove up the mountain in darkness, and as the sun appeared over the horizon, we soon located three very showy singing males. After breakfast back in the plaza, we met Eduardo again and he kindly accompanied us to an area of oak woodland at nearby El Barrio, where he had located a few pairs of Iberian Pied Flycatchers (iberiae). The birds initially proved to be rather elusive, with frustratingly brief views of two very flighty singing males. But eventually we found a much more cooperative breeding pair which gave excellent views.

Then it was back to Portugal for a third attempt at Rüppell's Vulture, arriving at Portas de Ródão at about 16:00. But there was still no sign of our prime target before we once again retired to Castelo Branco at 19:00, although a good selection of other raptors (including the local pair of Bonelli's Eagles) kept us interested. We were on site again at 08:00 the next morning, for our fourth (and last) attempt. By now, Griffon Vulture was definitely my least favourite species, and at times I was even tempted to throw myself off the cliff! At midday we admitted defeat and dejectedly left the upper viewpoint for the last time, convinced that the Rüppell's Vulture had gone AWOL. I'd definitely had enough, but on the descent to Vila Velha de Ródão, Erica insisted on having one last scan of the colony from the lower viewpoint. She set up the 'scope, and within seconds calmly announced that she was looking at 'Rupert'! Sure enough, the Rüppell's Vulture was now perched on one of the most prominent rocks, preening in perfect light and even spreading his wings occasionally to reveal the underwing pattern. Needless to say, we suffered well-deserved hangovers the next morning...

We had several chance encounters with our other main target, Iberian Green Woodpecker (sharpei), including one on our first full day, although it was just a heard-only for us at Larry's site in the Serra da Arrábida.

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that we also found time to visit the regular sites for the local plastic selection – thanks to Rich Bonser for providing a copy of his very useful 2011 trip report. These included Black-headed Weaver and Yellow-crowned Bishop, our first WP Crested Mynas, and our first Europe Common Waxbills and Red Avadavats. But, as per some other recent reports, we failed to find any munia spp at either Rilvas or Zambujal.

PS. 'Rupert' was actually on exactly the same pinnacle as in Paul's photo, but on the apex of the triangular rock face about two metres lower.

Last edited:
I'd offer congratulations on the vulture but they'd be cancelled-out by the over-reliance on plastics! I'm quite pleased to have missed Black-headed Weaver in the Algarve last autumn!

Last edited:
As a bonus, later in the afternoon we enjoyed our best ever views of Spanish Imperial Eagle – an adult circling low over Portilla del Tietar.

Has the pair there reclaimed the nest site at Tietar? Had stunning views on the nest several years back then Griffons took over....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back