• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camedia software (1 Viewer)

graham_t

Having recently bought an Oly 765UZ, having no alterantive software I downloaded my pictures onto PC using the Camedia software provided. Having now acquired better software I wanted to export pics from Camedia but cannot find out how to do this. Photoshop does not seem to recognise Olympus files. Camedia seems to let you import but not export to other sources - I can't figure out even how to burn images onto CD or send them by email. Trying to copy individual images and then transferring them elsewhere does not seem to work and I seem to go round in circles? The software also invites you to create albums and other things that it tells you that you cannot save. Am I missing something obvious?
I really like the camera, but the software provided is appalling

Regardless what software you use, the pictures themselves should be on your harddrive somewhere as .jpg files. I suggest you find them on your harddrive, copy them to a new directory and import them into the new software you are using.

Another thing - you do not need to use any software just to get the files from your camera down to your PC. When you connect your camera to the PC via the USB port, the camera shows up as a new drive, so you can just copy the .jpg files from it using Windows Explorer or any other utility. This is the easiest, most "plain-vanilla" way of doing things. Then you know where your pictures are, because you put them there. You can then import them into cataloging software if you want.

Yep, I agree the Olympus software sucks! You don't mention which version of Windows you're using. If you have XP then just about all your problems are easy to resolve - Simply use the XP camera wizard, end of story, it's a breeze to use, you can select where about on the PC you store your images.

(For XP) If you click on 'my computer' whilst the camera is connected you'll see a disk icon with the label ' removable disk' right click on this disk (assuming it's your camera) and select properties, then click on the auto play tab. At this point your presented with a drop down box that should say 'music', change this to 'pictures' and then move to the 'select an action to perform' option then left mouse click on the circle, then click on 'copy pictures to a folder on my computer using Microsoft Scanner & Camera Wizard' - Click apply then okay.

Next time you connect your camera the Microsoft camera wizard will take over the downloading of your images from the camera rather than the appalling Oly software - Trust me, your better off totally removing the Olympus software full stop, even printing an image is a total joke using it, forcing you to pay for an upgrade to gain further and better options!!

If you don't have XP then it's a worth well purchase, if not then using the find function within Windows locate a folder called 'camedia', open this folder and look for another folder within, called 'store'. Within this folder you should find your images under date order or similar. I'm not 100% sure on this point as I removed the Olympus software over twelve months ago and haven't looked back since.

The real sting in the tail with the Olympus software is that if your camera is firmware upgradeable, your forced to use it - Which is about it's only practical use in my opinion.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Heather

I agree that Camedia software is unnecessary. However, it does facilitate a full-screen slideshow which is useful.
You can copy to another folder. In the browse mode open a photo then click file/copy, open your Windows Explorer, highlight a folder and click paste.
I have Camedia Master which does not allow editing. You need to pay for the pro version.
I have Irfanview www.irfanview.com which is free, well recommended by computer experts and allows all editing like cropping, colour change, brightness, contrast and saving in different formats.

For info, in my WIN XP computer the Camedia files are in C:\\Docs and settings\All Users\Application Data\OLYMPUS\Camedia Master 4\Album\My Camera which I didn't expect because I thought they would be in Docs and Settings\My Name...

It's easy to copy/paste from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back