• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help narrowing down my choice (1 Viewer)

1MRKC

Hello,
I'm new to the forums and to binoculars in general. I'm looking to buy some for my trip to Costa Rica for spotting wildlife and have narrowed down to a few Bushnell ones that I quite like. I'm a complete newbie to this so I don't know which ones would suit my needs better, I'd be greatfull for some help!

1) Bushnell H2O 8x25
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushnell-H2...UTF8&colid=14WPFW6FQYEZ&coliid=I2309BLDX4DLAD

2) Bushnell H2O 8x42
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushnell-Pr...UTF8&colid=14WPFW6FQYEZ&coliid=I13IO8HB57H5T2

3) Bushnell Natureview 8x40
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushnell-Na...UTF8&colid=14WPFW6FQYEZ&coliid=I1DCTKJTPWKWTB

4) Bushnell Spectator 8x40
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushnell-17...UTF8&colid=14WPFW6FQYEZ&coliid=I1NJXP563KZMX2

I've settled on a 8x magnification but I'm not sure what lens size would be ideal? I know that the larger they are, the more light they let in, but I just need it to let in enough light and not too much (don't want to be blinded when the sun is out!).

Also, I would prefer them to be light and compact if possible, can anyone tell me if any of the ones I've listed are overly heavy/bulky? It's hard to gauge by the pictures but the Natureview and H2O 8x42 look a tad big, but I don't mind that if they are the better choice.

And please share any other information that you think would be useful :)

Thanks!

. Hello and welcome.
The 8×40 Spectator is a fixed focus binocular and only suitable really if you are young and have a lot of accommodation in your eyes and don't normally use glasses.

The 8×25 might be a bit small.

I have used the H2O Porro prism binocular and this is quite good especially for the price although I don't know if it is still made. I don't have experience of the roof prism version.

Hopefully somebody who has more experience regarding birdwatching will answer your questions.
why does it have to be Bushnell?
The Nikon action VII 8×40 binocular is good value. however, it is not waterproof and the Bushnell H2O is meant to be waterproof.

Oh it doesn't necessarily have to be a Bushnell, it was just the one I found with a lot of choice, they were reasonably priced and they are widely available in the U.K. I'm open to other suggestions :).

Hi MRKC.

Welcome to the forum.

I've only tried the H2O 8x42 from your list and I'd suggest it's probably the best choice. The Natureview probably has the better, brighter view, but I imagine waterproof is going to be important in Puerto Rico. The Spectator won't be good for wildlife watching, and the 8x25, could well be rather dim under the canopy and twilight.

The H2O is quite reasonable for the price but does lack a number of technical features offered on more expensive models that affect brightness and contrast. Generally the porro prism designs (like the Natureview) offer a better quality view for your money. In full size, the Nikon Action EX 7x35 or 8x40 can be found for around the £100 mark. Smaller and lighter is the Opticron Savanna 6 or 8x30. These are waterproof.

David

Hi MRKC.

Welcome to the forum.

I've only tried the H2O 8x42 from your list and I'd suggest it's probably the best choice. The Natureview probably has the better, brighter view, but I imagine waterproof is going to be important in Puerto Rico. The Spectator won't be good for wildlife watching, and the 8x25, could well be rather dim under the canopy and twilight.

The H2O is quite reasonable for the price but does lack a number of technical features offered on more expensive models that affect brightness and contrast. Generally the porro prism designs (like the Natureview) offer a better quality view for your money. In full size, the Nikon Action EX 7x35 or 8x40 can be found for around the £100 mark. Smaller and lighter is the Opticron Savanna 6 or 8x30. These are waterproof.

David

Thank you for your input David, the Opticron looks reasonably priced so I think I'll do some research on that one.

So a 25mm lens would definitely be too dim? Ok I'll look into getting at least 40mm lenses.

If you divide the objective diameter by the magnification (the second number by the first) you get a value called the exit pupil. So an 8x25 would be 3.2mm, 8x40 5mm as would a 6x30. It's a general guide to the low light suitability, bigger is better. I suggest 4mm would probably be fine for PR, but the low priced roof designs like the H20s can be 30-40% less bright than the porro prism equivalent.

Hope that helps.

David

If you divide the objective diameter by the magnification (the second number by the first) you get a value called the exit pupil. So an 8x25 would be 3.2mm, 8x40 5mm as would a 6x30. It's a general guide to the low light suitability, bigger is better. I suggest 4mm would probably be fine for PR, but the low priced roof designs like the H20s can be 30-40% less bright than the porro prism equivalent.

Hope that helps.

David

Yes very helpful, thank you David!

I would look at a Leupold Yosemite in 6X or 8X, or one of the exact duplicates floating around like the 6X30 Bushnell natureview.

I have just bought some Barr & Stroud 8x32 Sierra binoculars for my grandsons first binoculars. Great binoculars for the price, £75. Fully multi coated optics, phase corrected prisms, wide fov, 129m, long eye relief and a nice bright view. They were the best I could find at that price point, might be worth a try.
Les.

Les,

I sent him a link for the Sierra last night when I spotted the current price, though personally I think I'd prefer the Yosemite/Opticon x30s.

David

I would look at a Leupold Yosemite in 6X or 8X, or one of the exact duplicates floating around like the 6X30 Bushnell natureview.

I second that recommendation, but the Yosemites feel more rugged somehow.

I'm not sure about other places, but at bhphotovideo there seems to
be a price war between those Yosemeties and the strong Nikon 7x35 Acculon,
which is a bit more bulky. The latest round seems to be dropping the
Yosemite 6x30 to the price of $72. The 7x35 Acculon was $56 before
XMas and is still at an amazing price.

That price class is a great scene of competition right now!

And since this is the Bushnell forum the 7x35 Bushnell Powerview (9.3 degrees)
is about $56 now. If budget was limited I would prefer that to an 8x25
or a roof prism (the H2O has 2 strikes against it at that price range).

Perhaps not as stellar as the Nikon 7x35 Acculon but well received.

I had a chance to get the Barska 8x30 used and quite cheap. The build doesn't feel
anything like the Bushnell or Nikon, and if I grip it wrong the collimation goes
a little wonky. Ick. Think I'll donate the body to research.

Try to find the Bushnell Exursion 8x28. One of the best bin for the money. There should be still some new old stock within UK. Good luck.

Andy

Interesting model....very well received by users, but hasn't been around for a while.
I don't see the Excursion 8x28 on ebay but there are a fair number of 8x32 Excursions
out there. Very reasonable for a phase-compensated roof.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back