• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

baush lomb elites mk1? (1 Viewer)

There were a few evolutions of this series binoculars since the mid-1990s, and they were well-regarded, about equivalent to the highest-end binoculars (Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski) at the time. At least, that was my impression on reading reviews (Better View Desired website and others) and comments. I will not argue with others if they differ. There were 7x36, 8x42, 10x42, and, later on, 8x50 and 12x50. Now, there are few models, and they are sold under the Bushnell name. I'm sure that they are very fine binoculars and that you'll be happy with them. I haven't had opportunities to try them or had access to them. Sorry.
What model do you have?

SteveF said:
There were a few evolutions of this series binoculars since the mid-1990s, and they were well-regarded, about equivalent to the highest-end binoculars (Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski) at the time. At least, that was my impression on reading reviews (Better View Desired website and others) and comments. I will not argue with others if they differ. There were 7x36, 8x42, 10x42, and, later on, 8x50 and 12x50. Now, there are few models, and they are sold under the Bushnell name. I'm sure that they are very fine binoculars and that you'll be happy with them. I haven't had opportunities to try them or had access to them. Sorry.
What model do you have?

The Bausch&Lomb 8x50 and 12x50 Elites are porro prism and 8x42 & 10x42 B&L Elite are roof prism not sure about the 7x36 porro I think.All highly regarded but some of the roofs were not water proof and some were.
Steve m

I don't understand what "mk1" has to do with B&L bins...? What kind of info were you looking for since you've already purchased them? :h?:

Mooreorless, you are correct. I neglected to mention that. The 7x36's were roof prisms (and the ones I would have liked to have tried). The 8x50 and 12x50 porros were of the odd, vertically aligned style, somewhat like the recent Pentax porro prism models. I see also that toward the end of the series' run, some compacts were made, mostly reverse porros, I think.

As far as the reference to Mk1, as Katy mentioned, ... that's a good question. I never saw any reference to such designations, but I assume that the post's originator meant the first generation of the series.

As Katy said, originator-of-the post: what information is desired?

As others have said they are decent bins, and still are optically sound. There were three versions over time, I think it was only the thrid version that was waterproof. Assuming you didn't pay over the odds for them I'm sure you'll be happy with them and get a good number of years out of them.

katie what i meant was are the b&lomb elites 10x42 waterproof and of sound quality they are in good condition plus i only paid £45 for them archie

archieleeming said:
... are the b&lomb elites 10x42 waterproof and of sound quality they are in good condition plus I only paid £45 ...
Hi Archie,

The first versions of the B&L Elites (Mk1's) were not, I think, waterproof but were well thought of, water resistant and just a step or so lower in quality and resolution perhaps than the 'best' binos of the day.

£45? You robbed someone ;) - great buy! Should get many years out of them still :t: !

Andy.

I'd agree with Andy - if you only paid £45 for them you've done very well. You still regularly see them for sale secondhand, but normally thy're £150-250, so you've done very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back