• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix teleconverter (1 Viewer)

The other replies have covered the points really.

The FZ7 has a lens that moves in and out when the zoom is powered up, so any filter needs to be mounted on a lens adpater - sometimes called lens armour. The lens armour has a thread on the end of it which is 55mm in the case of the Pemaraal adapter. The Tcon-17 has a 52mm thread so a step-down ring 55-52mm is needed to mount the Tcon-17.

There are other adapters available and other teleconverters which may have the same or different thread sizes. With Pemaraal you order by selecting the right one for your camera model - http://www.pemaraal.com/fz7ac.html

I opted for the metal version of the Pemaraal adapter as I find the plastic versions are seldom sufficiently durable. The body of the adapters is okay but the threads being fine are two easy to damage/cross-thread.

IanF said:
The other replies have covered the points really.

The FZ7 has a lens that moves in and out when the zoom is powered up, so any filter needs to be mounted on a lens adpater - sometimes called lens armour. The lens armour has a thread on the end of it which is 55mm in the case of the Pemaraal adapter. The Tcon-17 has a 52mm thread so a step-down ring 55-52mm is needed to mount the Tcon-17.

There are other adapters available and other teleconverters which may have the same or different thread sizes. With Pemaraal you order by selecting the right one for your camera model - http://www.pemaraal.com/fz7ac.html

I opted for the metal version of the Pemaraal adapter as I find the plastic versions are seldom sufficiently durable. The body of the adapters is okay but the threads being fine are two easy to damage/cross-thread.

I think you will find the Tcon-1.7 has 55mm threads mine has.

Thanks everyone; I now realise that what I mistakenly thought was a tread on the lens barrel is of course on the sleeve within which the lens moves - looks like Pemaraal is the smart way to go....

stanacko said:
I think you will find the Tcon-1.7 has 55mm threads mine has.
Yep! You're right - it's a 72mm-55mm re-size ring I needed for the FZ20 which I have. It looks like the design has now been changed and the adapter has the correct thread built in to it - the PA55 is the one for the FZ20 now.

By the looks of it the FZ7 doesn't need a re-size ring as the adapter comes in either 52mm or 55mm for whichever conversion lens you have.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back