• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

crows being attacked constantly who is doing it? (1 Viewer)

scuba0095

Hello

Every day almost EVERY MIN I see a crow being attacked relentlessly! The bird that attacks them is always dark in color I am not sure what kind of bird it is? As Its always happening far away and i can never get a closer look!

Anyone know what bird will attack crows in an insane manner? The crows cringe and try and fly away as fast as they can from these little heathens!

I have a pair of starlings nesting in my roof right now I never see them go after any bird or anything to defend their nest. They come in and out of my roof inches away from my head but never warn or try to attack anything so i doubt it could be them?

Red-winged Blackbirds often mob crows as do Northern Mockingbirds and other species. I've never seen Starlings mobbing a crow. Maybe they do.

Mobbing is a pecking-order behavior. Blackbirds mob crows, Crows mob eagles/owls, etc. etc.

Because predators (and a Crow is a predator) use stealth, mobbing them and making their presence known serves to negate the predator's element of surprise and causes them to leave the area.

Last edited:
Can you get an idea of the relative sizes between the attacker and the crows?

If it's much smaller than the crows, I would agree with Red-winged Blackbird or Northern Mockingbird. Possibly Blue Jay.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back