• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Grouse, World's End (1 Viewer)

Steven Astley

Like to know the place or places to go to see them lekking in North Wales, there is meant to be a hide and also they can be seen from the road is this true and whereabouts is it. Also the general area for a chance of seeing Crossbills would be nice.

The car park at World's End held about 20 Crossbill a couple of weeks ago so should still be a good bet.

There is a hide nearby and "Lek" walks are arranged - but I haven't got the details to hand - they run from a nearby information centre I think.

Black Grouse are about a 70% chance at WE, although early birds tend to score highest due to the amount of disturbance from walkers, birders, mountain bikers and the like.

It's a beautiful spot on a nice day anyway, I'd recommend walking back up the hill behind the car park and scanning the opposite hillside, take a flask and some butties and just enjoy!

Like to know the place or places to go to see them lekking in North Wales, there is meant to be a hide and also they can be seen from the road is this true and whereabouts is it. Also the general area for a chance of seeing Crossbills would be nice.

Black Grouse lekking here in March this year. Please note this was easily visibly from the road with no disturbance to the birds.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Crossbills anywhere here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

I went in March early one morning and saw 3 flying to right of yellow road and 5 lekking where top arrow is. Hope this helps.

Alan

Last edited:
Thanks for everybody's help, unfortunately I went early this morning could hear what I thought was Black Grouse but couldn't see anything so gave up having seen Crossbills at where Alan has pointed out on the map I decided to head up the hill on a designated footpath hoping I might catch a glimpse of one and seeing what else was about
Unfortunately it looks like I flushed a lek of about 12 males with 2 remaining only just viewable in the long vegetation, so I left them to it and went back down.
Also saw 2 cuckoos in 1 tree duelling with their songs and 5 Whinchats. Very nice area, ashame about the flushing. As Rob says I would recommend people go to the hide to avoid disturbance or else be very careful.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back