• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black& White Bird! (1 Viewer)

Tockman

Hi All,
An unusual visitor called last week, a Black and White bird! I've seen them with just a white spot or two on the wings, but never one like this! anyone else seen one?
Apologies for poor quality photo, taken with digital video camera in snapshot mode, just happened to be handy at the time!
Scope now trained on the bird table, but as yet (you guessed) not a sign of it.

Alan.

Attachments

• Black&White Bird.jpg
    Black&White Bird.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 210
My first thought from the thumbnail was a Blackbird, but I think the bill is wrong, and I think it might be some sort of Mynah.

If so, then an escape or, because I guess it ain't s'posed to be that colour, maybe someone just let it go.

Anyone agree?

Looks like a leukistic Blackbird to me. See this photo in the gallery:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/data/527/6697Blackbird01.jpg[/img]
Leukistic refers to missing pigmentation. Apparently it is quite common. If you do a search on forums for leukistic and/or albino you'll find a wealth of information and examples. Barbara

Very similar looking bird, I agree Barbara... although this bird has no orange eye-ring. Could be due to the age of the bird, but that bill is very orange.

Not sure if leukism could affect the eye-ring?

Mind you I'm not happy about the eye for my mynah guess either... that bill does look awful heavy for a Blackbird though...

(BTW Alan, you've probably guessed that I'm certainly no expert on these matters!)

I think the heavy look to the bill might just be because of the angle of the photo and the fact that it's open - it does look heavy though.

Even so, I think it's most likely a leucistic blackbird.

Nought needed with the :-C Reckon we should go for the hybrid theory - world's first Myna-Blackbird cross, with a splash of Dalmation thrown in for good luck ;)

Coincidentally my daughter spotted a white bird today at the school and asked me what it was. It was a completely albino blackbird feeding next to a normal one! Very odd to watch. Enabled me to give a good lesson in why albinos aren't very common though as I asked her to imagine herself as a sparrowhawk and tell me which bird she would go for first!!!

Jos Stratford said:
Nought needed with the :-C Reckon we should go for the hybrid theory - world's first Myna-Blackbird cross, with a splash of Dalmation thrown in for good luck ;)
Not sure about Dalmatian... can't see its paws!!!

birdman said:
Very similar looking bird, I agree Barbara... although this bird has no orange eye-ring. Could be due to the age of the bird, but that bill is very orange.

Not sure if leukism could affect the eye-ring?

Mind you I'm not happy about the eye for my mynah guess either... that bill does look awful heavy for a Blackbird though...

(BTW Alan, you've probably guessed that I'm certainly no expert on these matters!)

I don't know if the lack of pigment could affect the eye-ring color in Tockman's bird. There is one shot of a "young male blackbird" in the gallery that doesn't show an orange eye ring. What about size? What's the difference in size between Mynah and Blackbird? Aren't Mynahs a fair amount bigger than Blackbirds? I also think the "heaviness" of the bill/beak is due to the angle. Barbara

BarbaraM said:
I don't know if the lack of pigment could affect the eye-ring color in Tockman's bird. There is one shot of a "young male blackbird" in the gallery that doesn't show an orange eye ring. What about size? What's the difference in size between Mynah and Blackbird? Aren't Mynahs a fair amount bigger than Blackbirds? I also think the "heaviness" of the bill/beak is due to the angle. Barbara
I think that young males that are of an age not to exhibit eye-ring colour also do not exhibit the orange bill.

As for size, the only two "mynah" species I have seen have been birdhouse specimens, one (I think) Common, the other Bali. The Common I seem to recall would be larger than the Blackbird by some way, though I think the Bali is of a similar size... just the wrong shade of black!!!

To be fair, I don't think there is enough in Alan's photo to determine size, at least until he comes back and says it was "blackbird-sized".

That said, I am happy to lean towards everyone else's suggestion that it is a Blackie, as much as I am beguiled by Jos's hybrid!

Last edited:
birdman said:
I think that young males that are of an age not to exhibit eye-ring colour also do not exhibit the orange bill.

Could be - the "young male blackbird" in the gallery: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/data/527/1266Svarttrostur_041107_netid-med.jpg[/img]

has a black beak...! Barbara

Thanks for your input everyone,
Personally I would go for the Leukistic Blackbird theory, as it was blackbird size,and arrived with a normal blackbird, (definitely no paws) will post better pic if it returns.
Alan. Cheers B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back