• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Standing up to the starlings (1 Viewer)

helenol said:
Since I have moved, and no longer have starlings in my present garden.

im not surprised you dont have any starlings in your garden - what with all those kites etc flying about! :eek!: - lucky you, i know what id rather have in my garden.

salty said:
im not surprised you dont have any starlings in your garden - what with all those kites etc flying about! :eek!: - lucky you, i know what id rather have in my garden.
True, you've got a point there. |=)|

DoveKeeper said:
Starlings come to my suit cake and disallow the two Downy Woodpeckers and the White Breasted Nuthatch to feed. I have mixed feeling at this time. I accept their presense durring the non-suit months. I suppose their not as bad as the pack of suit eating squirrels that came out of the trees to raise my bloodpressure.

Couple of suggestions ... get an upside down suet feeder, which the woodpeckers and nuthatches can navigate but the starlings can't. Also the Logjammer (or similar type) suet feeder is more difficult for the starlings to hang onto.

As a long-standing member of the SAS (Starling Appreciation Society) I've read these threads with interest as those who take to starlings seem quite ready to say why, but those against don't seem to be precise as to what it is that they don't like about them. For me, as some of the posts say, they are an absolute delight to have in the garden, arriving, as they do, suddenly in flocks of 15-40, staying for around 10-15 minutes and then leaving as quickly as they came. Why do I like them? - well as the 'for' posts say, they are so cheerfully comic, whether feeding, bathing, or sitting in the trees going through their amazing repertoire of clicks, whistles, and imitations. They say that laughter is good for you, and I just can't help having a broad smile on my face for the time they are there; whereas much as like all the other avian vistors they don't make me laugh like starlings do. And mostly they seem to get on well with the other garden birds, particularly the sparrows who often seem to wait for their arrival and then follow them on to the feeders.

I do think some of the points made about their decline in some areas are good ones. I've also seen them in large numbers at Marshside, and the wet pasture there is very much a disappearing feature from our countryside.

Could some of the 'anti's' say what it is they don't like about them in the garden?

Alan Hill

Hi Alan, I am certainly not "anti" starling! If they arrive here, they'll be fed, simple as that. As it happens I'm in an area where the starlings aren't. What I don't miss is the deep hole in my purse.

helenol said:
Hi Alan, I am certainly not "anti" starling! If they arrive here, they'll be fed, simple as that. As it happens I'm in an area where the starlings aren't. What I don't miss is the deep hole in my purse.

who was it getting all concerned over a lone starling on saturday!

Songbird, I would imagine that if your starling numbers have suddenly increased it will be due to the large numbers of continental (mainly Scaninavian I think) starlings which have recently migrated here.

Alan Hill

You think? I am never sure whether they are localish but never competely certain. They always disappear around March and come back October/November, so would they migrate to Scandinavia to breed?

alanhill said:
As a long-standing member of the SAS (Starling Appreciation Society) I've read these threads with interest as those who take to starlings seem quite ready to say why, but those against don't seem to be precise as to what it is that they don't like about them. For me, as some of the posts say, they are an absolute delight to have in the garden, arriving, as they do, suddenly in flocks of 15-40, staying for around 10-15 minutes and then leaving as quickly as they came. Why do I like them? - well as the 'for' posts say, they are so cheerfully comic, whether feeding, bathing, or sitting in the trees going through their amazing repertoire of clicks, whistles, and imitations. They say that laughter is good for you, and I just can't help having a broad smile on my face for the time they are there; whereas much as like all the other avian vistors they don't make me laugh like starlings do. And mostly they seem to get on well with the other garden birds, particularly the sparrows who often seem to wait for their arrival and then follow them on to the feeders.

I do think some of the points made about their decline in some areas are good ones. I've also seen them in large numbers at Marshside, and the wet pasture there is very much a disappearing feature from our countryside.

Could some of the 'anti's' say what it is they don't like about them in the garden?

Alan Hill

Couldn't of put that any better, I find them amusing to watch . The sparrows seem to arrive just before the starlings in my garden then a few minutes later a flock of starlings arrive!!

Songbird, according to The Migration Atlas the starlings that winter in Britain have their breeding grounds throughout northern Europe: the Netherlands, Scandinavia and the Baltic states, Germany, Poland, Finland, and Russia (even as far as Lake Baikal). “The main period of autumn migration into Britain and Ireland is October-November. However birds from different breeding populations in Europe migrate at different times and use different routes.” They leave for their breeding grounds in March and April.

Alan Hill

I dont mind Starlings so much, they are quite funny when they squabble over the feeder and they seem to leave the smaller birds alone on the other feeder. The problem here is Magpies, we scare them off all the time but when we are scaring them off we are also scaring the other birds off too :C

I find the only way to deter magpies, pigeons and squirrels is to have a feeding set-up which will allow birds up to starling/blackbird size to take the food, but which will prevent anything bigger. For me the answer is to have the usual cylindrical type of feeder (which I have on a narrow vaseline-greased pole to stop the squirrels) plus a ground feeding station which is protected by a mesh which only lets the smaller birds through (available from RSPB). But I would have thought that any feeding set-up which prevented squirrels taking the food would also prevent magpies and pigeons.

Alan Hill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back