• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow ID (1 Viewer)

Grousemore

American Sparrows can be fairly difficult,but I'd be interested in any opinions on this one.
Taken today in central Florida.

Attachments

• DSCN0960.JPG
    DSCN0960.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 275
I think I'd agree with Andrew on this one (Bachman's Sparrow), though I am not sure if the breast streaking is right?-(Bare in mind I have no experience of this species!)

Regards
Tristan

I don't know. Where it is a rather non-descript sparrow, the beak does not seem right for a bachman nor does the eye but I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

Last edited:
Chipping is about the only Spizella possibility down there-- others would be out of range (except Field Sparrow, which this does NOT look like). Bachman's would be a good guess and a nice tick. Can't really tell from the picture whether the breast is streaked or not. I tend to suggest Song Sparrow for anything I can't place elsewhere.

Too bad we can't see the breast. My gut reaction on seeing the picture was Song Sparrow but after comparing the picture to pictures in field guides I would have to say that unfortunately I can't id. the bird for sure from this picture.

Thanks for the input folks.
Unfortunately I was unable to see the breast at all.The bird was singing,but I'd never heard Bachman's or Song sparrow,although the Sibley description fitted Bachman's more than Song.
Not sure if these further pics will help;

Attachments

• DSCN0959.JPG
    DSCN0959.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN0966.JPG
    DSCN0966.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 226
the dark malar and apparent lack of/or only a weak moustachial would help eliminate a few species (incl. Song) if it is real but I'm not sure it is. Tail also looks wrong for Song -not rounded enough?

Several featues fit Bachman's though including head shape largish bill etc but head pattern is bolder than u would expect and not as streaky, though perhaps this is still okay. Wing looks good too with dark-chestnut-dark pattern.

Looks to me quite like an imm. Swamp Sparrow

A-ha...new pix!

has a yellow supra-loral spot - even more intriguing. Anyone know of anysparrows showing this other than Seaside and White throated?

Last edited:
If it's any help, it's perched in a pine, and Bachman's is cited as a pinewood species. Sibley shows a yellowish supra-loral spot for Bachman's, too.

Michael

I've just located a Bird List for the place(Three Lakes WMA)and Bachman's breeds on the site;the only others recorded there are Savannah(saw lots of those)Grasshopper,Swamp and White-crowned.
Although I didn't see the breast,the long tail was distinctive in the field,Michael was right that it was in a Pine and the pics show a flat,not rounded head.
Reckon I'll settle for 'probable' Bachman's,thanks all for the help.

The first photo made me think Bachman's. Also the predominance of chestnut rather than gray leans me toward Bachman's, especially the "rufous-tinged tertials" which Sibley says is diagnostic. The 2nd photo posted shows this rufous much better.

Both spp are good for pine/conifer habitat.

The problem with chipping is that it's not that streaky on the back of the neck and upper back; an adult in winter plumage would be gray and the face more clearly marked. Having said that, maybe there's a regional variation in chipping (west vs. east). I've had squillions of chipping in the yard here in NE Arizona, and none of them have been this blandly marked, in any plumage or at any age, although some do show buffy-to-yellowish lores as does this one. All chipping also have distinct, if variable, buffy to white wingbars, which this bird doesn't have.

I'd vote for Bachman's, with the caveat that I'm not very knowledgable of eastern US birds. :)

Pine-woods Sparrow is an alternative name for Bachman's

although the crown stripes are usually more obvioulsy streaky than the bird in the pic, Byers et al. in Buntings and Sparrows states that a bolder crown stripe is not uncommon.

Unfortunately the the pictures don't show the end of the tail so can't tell if it's rounded or not.
The Savannah Sparrow shows yellow in the same way and has a large bill as this bird seems to have.

snowyowl said:
Unfortunately the the pictures don't show the end of the tail so can't tell if it's rounded or not.
The Savannah Sparrow shows yellow in the same way and has a large bill as this bird seems to have.

Hi Dan,the nearest to a pic of the tail end is attached;any help?

Attachments

• DSCN0962.JPG
    DSCN0962.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 186
Grousemore said:
Hi Dan,the nearest to a pic of the tail end is attached;any help?
The tail appears to be notched. That along with the yellow lores would seem to make it a Savannah Sparrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back