• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery warbler (1 Viewer)

cspratt

Can someone in North America help id this warbler. I don't think it is a yellow as
bit early for here (Victoria, BC). It may be an Wilson's or Orange Crowned.

Attachments

• OCWA-ca.jpg
    OCWA-ca.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 263
  • OCWA-cb.jpg
    OCWA-cb.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 244
Yes, I think it's a Wilson's Warbler. It's the only warbler that is yellow from the beak to the tail and that has dark tail feathers from underneath. Also the short pointy beak fits as well. It does seem early though for any warblers to be that far north already. At least that's how it is in n IL where we don't get our warblers for another couple weeks.

to my mind it looks a bit more like an orange-crowned - the shorter tail and more longer spikey bill say orange-crowned to me - not wilsons. Alsolooks to have feint streaking to me - plus lutescens migrates early spring wilsons is much later - late may for BC I would think. luke

I agree, in the second photo it seems the bird has some streaks which looks like an Orange-crowned. But in the first photo it seems to have too much yellow on it for Orange-crowned and I don't see the streaks either. Doesn't the Orange-crowned have the brightest yellow on the undertail coverets? I don't see that in the pictures.

I'm with Luke on this one -- orange-crowned. It's too hard to see the underside of the tail on both photos but neither of them look light enough to yellow warbler. Plus the streaking in yellows is very noticeable, which isn't evident here. Which, of course, is also indicative of o-c.

I'll weigh in too. In addition to above comments, the slight eyeline would also indicate Orange-crowned. Yellow Warbler (if that's what you're speaking of, Katy) has the unmarked face with the beady eye, while Wilson's cheek is also quite plain.

It looks like it is a little brighter yellow than most of the Orange-crowned Warblers I see here in Missouri. However, I do believe this is an Orange-crowned Warbler.

Thanks everyone - Orange-crowned it is. Sorry for the poor quality. New camera
new lens which is only a 28-135 and still learning how to process these images.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back