• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is she pure? (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Had a few doubts about the genetic purity of the attached Peregrine.
I had assumed it was an immature bird - hint of a super, big plae nape line and a lot of browness.

Attachments

• per1.JPG
    per1.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 575
  • per2.JPG
    per2.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
She is pretty lightly marked underneath for an imm - and is interacting with a male Peregrine.

Attachments

• per3.JPG
    per3.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 534
Who it seems is just an opportunist paedophile - just seen the breast streaking on the feamle - she is indeed an immature!

I do it all the time Charles - its my age!

I was just worried that a bird with no obvious underpart streaking was brown above with a pale nape...

The pic is a little darker than life.

Sorted out a few more pics.... I'm veering back towards saker blood.

Trousers are spotty - underpart lightly streaked not barred... almost looks like an Osprey!

Attachments

• per1.JPG
    per1.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 372
  • per7.JPG
    per7.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 357
I haven´t seen many hybrid peregrines; but I´d agree this bird to look strange, with some resemblance to peregrine-gyr or peregrine-saker hybrid...
Especially with that light tail base anad the light crown.

These shots may help. I'm sure that the UK Peregrines are a bit different than ours, but perhaps these photos will help some. The first is a one year old - Alimak. I know that it is 100% peregrine because we know his parents! You can see his band numbers. I have a certificate on him from our national bird banding department. The second is Selco at two, or three years of age. She was eight this spring. Still no successful nesting by her in all these years. She likes to nest in storm drains and ledges of buildings that slope. :h?: I built her a quality nest box last year and she has ignored it. Some job mounting a big, heavy box up 14 stories for nada.

Mark

Attachments

• Alimak.jpg
    Alimak.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 309
  • Birdnew72dpi.jpg
    Birdnew72dpi.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 286
Joern Lehmhus said:
I haven´t seen many hybrid peregrines; but I´d agree this bird to look strange, with some resemblance to peregrine-gyr or peregrine-saker hybrid...
Especially with that light tail base anad the light crown.

The underpart streaking does suggest a young bird, which might account for the pale nape... the moustacials are Peregrine width... I still reckon I could pass of that first pic as a Saker though on the pale trousers , long lets, long tail and small head.

It a huge brd.. I didn't get much chance to assess in air jizz... fighting two Carrion Crows while carrying a Pigeon wasn't ideal conditions.. and then she just lumbered off down the beach as the tide came in...carrying dinner

Jane
A bird very similar to this one has been seen over Parkgate several times this winter. Probably the same one but never still enough to get a good view. I put it down as a big young female peregrine. It was seen stealing a rat from a Hen Harrier on 14/2/04.

The slight creamyness of the facial marking would suggest some ammount of saker in there, but could just be the images creating that illusion.
However this ID is bringing back flashes of the Genetic Integrety thread, I think i need a bit of a sit-down.
James

The pale nape, super , pale base to the tail and structure differences from Peregrine are real!

I didn't really see the bird flying normally (Carrying a mickey and scrapping with crows isn't normal) to see if there are any non-Peregrine jizz characters....but that tail looks long on the deck! Legs too are very non-Peregrine - see the comparison pic with Peregrine in it!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back