• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green-backed Heron (1 Viewer)

leon

According to my Sasol guide this is a Green-backed Heron (Butorides Striata).
What would it be called in the databases clasification?

Attachments

• green_heron.jpg
    green_heron.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 213
  • heron2.jpg
    heron2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Its a stunner! Thast flight picture is amazing! Not au fait with African Herons, but it certainly looks like Butorides striatus to me... on my limited experience of one Butorides virescens

Last edited:
Leon,
It can be nothing else. Virescens doesn't range. The subspecies where you are is atricapillus and if Neil shot his in NSW his is macrorhyncha.

A note on the gender of Butorides - it is feminine. V. David & Gosselin (2002). This comports that the desinence of the specific name, since there are no other over-riding taxonomic naming laws taking precedence, should be feminine,i.e. striata. Several lists, however, use striatus.

Always a confusing name here green back vs green heron.My Peterson lists the scientific as butorides virescens.Your African subject looks just like my Ohio native.I personally go with green heron
Sam

Tim Allwood said:
the taxonomy and english naming of this 'species' is incredibly complex. Don't delve too deeply........

Hi Tim,

The reason I made the point is because of post #4. Leon shouldn't put too much store on the absolute correctness of the endings of the specific names if, at times, even the taxonomists are confused by this.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back