• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

squirrels again...:( (1 Viewer)

Metermaid

Just been checking out squirrel feeders in the hope of stopping them trying to destroy my bird feeders. CJ do one with a lid and 'seat' so the squirrel can easily access the peanuts - has anyone had success with these...before I part with my £15?

Ta

Rita

Metermaid said:
Just been checking out squirrel feeders in the hope of stopping them trying to destroy my bird feeders. CJ do one with a lid and 'seat' so the squirrel can easily access the peanuts - has anyone had success with these...before I part with my £15?

Ta

Rita

I find it hard to believe that offering squirrels their own food is going to keep them away from the bird feeders - maybe it would just encourage even more squirrels to invade your garden! The Droll Yankee feeders now come with a lifetime guarantee against weather or predators, so they might be worth the extra cost. Better still would be to squirrel proof your feeders - I regularly have 2 or 3 squirrels in the garden (though I have only seen one once in the last 3 or 4 weeks) but they have never managed to get to any of my hanging feeders, because of the baffles on the hanging poles, nor can they get onto the bird table.

I use squirrel proof feeders as well. They seem quite content to feed on the spillage. As I write this there is a squirrel feeding on the spilt seeds right now along with 16 Greenfinches! So they DO work!
:bounce:

Steve

Elizabeth Bigg said:
<SNIP> but they have never managed to get to any of my hanging feeders, because of the baffles on the hanging poles, nor can they get onto the bird table.

Baffles eh? The squirrels that visit me have taken to climbing up the apple tree then launching themselves through space to land on my hanging pole. I must admit that it's most spectacular to watch.

It would be easy to place the feeder well away from Trees of course, but that would be less good for the birds.

It has been said that squirrels spend all day working out how to get to your feeders whilst we spend the odd half an hour trying to prevent them. Multiplying the relative intelligence by the time spent will help you to calculate who will win. Guess I'd better buy a squirrel feeder then ;)

Alf King said:
Baffles eh? The squirrels that visit me have taken to climbing up the apple tree then launching themselves through space to land on my hanging pole. I must admit that it's most spectacular to watch.

It would be easy to place the feeder well away from Trees of course, but that would be less good for the birds.

I don't have overhanging trees, and the birds have plenty of cover from the nearby hedges, so the baffles work well for us all (except the squirrels, of course).

Squirrels

1've had a squirrel feeder up for a few years now and it's the best thing
i've done. They used to chew most of my feeders but now they only use
their own one,especially with a few brazils mixed in with the peanuts.
No i havent named them yet.
Haith's sell a wooden one for £8.99.

Frank

Cover the bird feeder in plastic wrap! Sure, the birds won't be able to use it, but it sure is fun to watch the squirrels leap for the feeder and bounce off the plastic wrap! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back