• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Happy to report... (1 Viewer)

Metermaid

.....things are settling down...after my initial worry when groups of starlings found my feeders. I posted a couple of threads here which started healthy debates along the lines of 'love 'em or hate 'em'! So thought I would just update as to what is happening now a couple of weeks later. I don't seem to have the huge flocks visiting (though I'm not here all the time), but things seem to have settled down to about 5 or 6 individuals at any one time (wonder if it's the same 5 or 6?), anyway good news is my other visitors, blue/great tits, goldfinches, chaffinches, dunnock, house sparrow, robins, now seems to have got used to their larger feeding companions (the GSW never did let them bother him !).

I did initially try to remove some of the food they found easy just to discourage so many but this just meant less stations for everyone else - so gave in and went back to normal. I guess the lesson is, leave well alone and a balance will be found. Someone on a thread here who likes Starlings asked people who don't to say why, I wouldn't say I don't like them, but they are not my favourite visitor, after watching the situation unfold now I would say my main gripe with them is that they stop others feeding, they can be perfectly happy chowing down but as soon as something lands nearby - no threat to them, they immediately leave what they are doing and chase it off - as I say my other visitors seem to be getting used to them and just find another station further away. Only thing that really has changed is I don't get the large groups of goldfinches that I was...just one or two robust individuals !

Congratulations on getting a decent selection of species :t: You may find even a few more over the winter months.

I have similar thoughts about the Starlings. They do arrive en-masse taking over the feeders particularly the fat balls and live food in the spring intended for the young Tits. They do soon move on though once they have had their fill. Most of the other species seem to prefer either the fruit or sunflower hearts that the Starlings hardly touch.

Kim,I'm afraid one has a love/hate relationship with Starlings ,they do tend to take over,but the smaller birds often visit once they see the Starlings are in situ,it is as though if the Starlings are there,then it is safe.It is the Pigeons who bug me.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back