• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fledgling Baby Crow Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

I posted the below in wrong area, I believe, so am trying it here :)
Hello all and thank you for the welcome, Steve. I am in a hurry, so please forgive me for not reading all instructions yet....I need some advice and joined here in the hopes I may find it quickly....here is my problem:

Last evening, about an hour and a half before sunset, I noticed a baby crow (I believe he is a fledgling, but not sure) standing on the ground in our yard, he was next to his dead nest-mate. His parents (& apparently all the aunties and uncles) were frantically squawking in our nearby trees. I stayed back and observed him for a while...he was just sitting on the ground for a long time, then started walking a little, & then sat down under some cover. I decided hastily, to approach him w/towel, and capture him, then place him on nearby roof, out of danger from cats. I got him onto the roof and went back in the house to observe from hidden spot. He eventually started walking a bit, but never did attempt flight. In between peering at him from various windows, he disappeared. I went back out, and found him again on the ground....this was about a half hour later. Got him back up on the roof and waited till dark to see what would transpire. His family eventually left when it got dark. So, I went back out and got him again as I did not want to leave him for any marrauding raccoons delight. (He spent the night quietly in our home - in a carboard box w/lid - I fed him a small amount right away, and one tweezer full at 11 p.m. - as I did not know when his last feeding was - I did not handle him other than when I retrieved him from the roof in the towel)

Meanwhile, I was looking online for bird feed for him....found a recipe that called for dog kibble, instant oatmeal, grated egg, a 'Tums', and Vitatmins A, C, and E. I also contacted a local wild life rescue, but I was not impressed much with her in the past, but was desperate for any help/advice. She became alarmed when I told her of oatmeal...the site I got the recipe from was a vet's site (Dr. Hines), and it specified INSTANT oatmeal. I did not give him any water, as per Dr. Hines' site recommendation...if I end up having to, when is right time? I can't contact Dr. Hines, unless I want to pay for the advice : ( She (rescue person) told me that if I put the baby crow back out in the morning that his parents would resume their vigil.

This is so! I got up at sunrise, fed him a couple of tweezer fulls, and put him outside on the roof again. (I have not removed his dead nestmate from ground yet, am afraid of disturbing these birds now, as his family is all over our yard watching and scolding.) It has now been 5 hours....he has called to his family, and he is walking around, but I have not seen him even attempt to flap his wings yet. My dilemna is: do I go out, if so, when? (to feed him again)? Or, should I just leave him alone today....does anyone know how long they can survive without food?

If I have to make him a pet, I will, but I would prefer that he be with his natural family. I am keeping my cats and dog inside today, but I am worried sick over this. Is this normal, that if he is a fledgling, that he goes a couple of days like this? I have not seen his parents land at all by him for a feeding, they are sticking to the trees only....probably because they know we have 3 cats and one dog. I am sorry I don't have time to introduce myself right now, but I'm sure you understand....any advice will be so welcome! I have also talked to local vet and my neighbor who rescues parrots...but not much info. I have also read extensively, about crows at the Cornell Univ. site, and have mailed an email to a person there, but have not heard anything. Thank you for any help.

I forgot to say that I think also, that the reason his parent are not landing where he is to feed him, is because they are wanting him to fly - vs. being mindful of our pets, which are now fully house-bound till this is over!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back