• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PLOVER.....I.D...Please (1 Viewer)

magpiemick

Hello again,

Took alot of Ringed Plover shots whilst on holiday in Gran Canaria Oct '06..
This one is different from the rest ;
Thicker white neck bar....pale eye ring....white above gape..

is it....semi-

thanks mick...

Attachments

• ANFI...OCT...D50..2-9.09.06 268.jpg
    ANFI...OCT...D50..2-9.09.06 268.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 402
don't the feet look webbed? sorry, stupid question - slightly webbed but was looking more at white area above gape - could it be a juv s.p?

Last edited:
Unless it was calling like a Spott red, I can't make a convincing case for Semi-P. I really can't see an orbital ring and there doesn't seem to be that much white above the gape line. Don't suppose you noted the wing pattern?

edit: Been googling and the gape line does appear variable. I think without call and wing bar you are in trouble though.

Last edited:
tizziec said:
Sure looks liek a semipalmated my guess would be juvenile

THis side of the Atlantic the default is Ringed Plover and just to clear things, this is what JanJ, Jane Turner etc. are saying by posting the links. This bird doesn't really look like Semi-P and is in fact just a Ringed Plover.

Mike Pennington said:
THis side of the Atlantic the default is Ringed Plover and just to clear things, this is what JanJ, Jane Turner etc. are saying by posting the links. This bird doesn't really look like Semi-P and is in fact just a Ringed Plover.

Is that what they are saying, Mike? That's not what I read. Jan? Jane? Andrew? Deborah?

You guys all know WAY more than me but I don't think this is a Ringed Plover. On examining the evidence here I was convinced this little feller must have semi-palmated tootsies. Only when I checked the range and vagrancy likelihood did I have doubts. But of course we could well have the old single-picture problem. Got any more, Mick? Even if they are not as "good".

Graham

Mick,

Did you think you had a different bird in the field? Did this stand out? Or was it only on looking at the photos? That would to me be as significant as anything we could see in the image.

Graham

Semi-P plover is one of those species with a suite of subjective features that can overlap with Ringed Plover. The three clinchers - call, the palmations and the wing bar are not evident in the pics. Without them its a non-starter and the default option of 1st w Ringed Plover comes into play

bitterntwisted said:
Is that what they are saying, Mike? That's not what I read. Jan? Jane? Andrew? Deborah?

You guys all know WAY more than me but I don't think this is a Ringed Plover. On examining the evidence here I was convinced this little feller must have semi-palmated tootsies. Only when I checked the range and vagrancy likelihood did I have doubts. But of course we could well have the old single-picture problem. Got any more, Mick? Even if they are not as "good".

Graham

Well this is getting very interesting one more photo much the same pose as before ..cropped a little tighter and sharpen..

Attachments

• ANFI...OCT...D50..2-9.09.06 269.jpg
    ANFI...OCT...D50..2-9.09.06 269.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 277
bitterntwisted said:

Graham

Hi Graham

I was just questioning it as RP because to me it does look as if feet are perhaps semi-palmated and although not very obvious, the white above the gape. I personally didn't think it was that simple and to me the links show the possible confusion potential even in the field and the overlap of variation. I got the impression others were at least considering the possibility but if not, am grateful for the links anyway.

However, Mike is obviously more of an expert .....

Thanks for posting the photo Mick - it's a valuable opportunity to learn for those of us not familiar with all the plumage variables in the more common species!

I don't know about their eastern atlantic possibilities, i just know it looks like the semi's i have seen around here. Could just be the pic though

Jane Turner said:
Semi-P plover is one of those species with a suite of subjective features that can overlap with Ringed Plover. The three clinchers - call, the palmations and the wing bar are not evident in the pics. Without them its a non-starter and the default option of 1st w Ringed Plover comes into play

Exactlly. Unless there is something better than we've been shown so far then we have to go for the default with is RP. THere may be a palmtaion there. But then RP shows palmations as well.

If there is better evidence. Flight shot. Call. Clearer photo of the head pattern. Let's see it. But we must assume that it is RP until we can prove otherwise.

bitterntwisted said:
<snip>...I don't think this is a Ringed Plover.
Why? I can't see anything on that bird that eliminates Ringed Plover, which, as the common species, needs to be safely ruled out before even considering anything else. If someone can do that from this photo, then I'll gratefully learn something.

edit: Jane and Mike have both already summed up the above thoughts - I was spending ages looking through Google images before replying!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back