• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hybrid duck (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi, I would like to hear your opinions on this duck:
mallard sized,
light parts of bill bright yellow like mallard,
legs orange.
Speculum not seen,
call shorter and more hard/rough sounding than mallard

It was together with about 50 mallards at the island of Wangerooge in October 1994.

Attachments

• anas4.jpg
    anas4.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 401
Looks like the front end of a Teal and the back end of a Gadwall but I would have thought any Teal hybrid would be smaller than a Mallard.

E

Hmmmm . . .
Teal head,
Mallard size, & leg colour,
Pintail tail,
Gadwall body, & bill pattern,
. . . . what a weird critter! what else is there in there?!?

Michael

Yes, it is a real weirdo. But it is definitely not a Mallard x Pintail.
Those have a blue bill, dark brown head with a strong green shine over the whole head, the front half of the mallards white neck ring and dirty orange-ochre coloured legs.

My first idea was also mallard x teal, but I was worried about the size (like mallard). The long middle tail feathers, like pintails did not worry me. I think that the length of the feather comes from the mallard parent, itis just the mallard feathers without the curl.

falcated teal was also an option, but there i would have expected at least a hint of the falcatets long "mane" and long feathers on the back. And I would not have expected such a bright rusty brown in the head and not such bright orange feet.

What was really making the bird stand out from the mallard group was the monochrome light grey body(as light as the mallards grey), without any trace of that conspicuous darker "shadow" along the mallard flanks.
With that it really stood out even to the bare eye.

The head shape was also characteristic, with a higher front than in mallard. And the bill was slightly thinner...

Well my guess is that this is just a mallard x gadwall hybrid, allthough the reddish brown head is worrying me a little bit. On the following web pages you find photographs of other such hybrids:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back