• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just got an FZ50, your advice is needed !! (1 Viewer)

Newton Stringer

Hi All

I am a regular digiscoper, but I have just got hold of a Lumix FZ50.

Can ask about your experiences with this camera please ?

I bought it thinking that it would be better for getting pics of closer, moving passerines in bushes (that are very difficult to digiscope). My friend has one of these cameras and suggested that it may be good for this purpose….. plus I don’t want to go down the DSLR route, so I thought I’d give this one a go….

I am just wondering, does anyone have experience of using the FZ50 for this kind of photography ? Is a 2x converter a worthwhile purchase for this camera ?

Any advice on getting the best out of this camera would be most welcome.

Thanks

G

Hi All

I am a regular digiscoper, but I have just got hold of a Lumix FZ50.

Can ask about your experiences with this camera please ?

I bought it thinking that it would be better for getting pics of closer, moving passerines in bushes (that are very difficult to digiscope). My friend has one of these cameras and suggested that it may be good for this purpose….. plus I don’t want to go down the DSLR route, so I thought I’d give this one a go….

I am just wondering, does anyone have experience of using the FZ50 for this kind of photography ? Is a 2x converter a worthwhile purchase for this camera ?

Any advice on getting the best out of this camera would be most welcome.

Thanks

G
Hi G

I've an FZ50 and have used it with a Kowa TSN4. I always hand hold and never bother with an adapter (because I use either a Contax or Pentax K100 for digiscoping); some good pictures come along but all have very heavy vignetting and and you'll need some post photo software to cut and past.

You can use a Teleconverter, I use the Olympus 1.7 with exellent results equivalent approx. 700mm lens. If you go to a Panasonic Forum you'll find most owners go for the Oly. and you won't need any converter rings as it has a 55mm thread, same as the FZ50.

The down side o

Hi G

I've an FZ50 and have used it with a Kowa TSN4. I always hand hold and never bother with an adapter (because I use either a Contax or Pentax K100 for digiscoping); some good pictures come along but all have very heavy vignetting and and you'll need some post photo software to cut and past.

The down side o

Hi Tony

Thanks for this response, I'm sorry but I wasn't very clear in my original post ! I already have a great digiscope set up (fuji F31d finepix with a leica apo 62).....

What I am really asking about is using the FZ50 hand held point and shoot to get shots of that flitty firecrest or pallas's warbler that I could never achieve with my digiscoping gear....... Any advice on this kind of photography with this camera please ?

Thanks

G

Hi G

Noise is the biggest problem with the FZ50, so I only use it on sunny days.

For small birds in amongst the bushes I go manual and wait for a pause in the bird's foraging.

Try the web on DPreview then Panasonic Forum and search out a guy called Trevor Carpenter, he's always worth reading for his FZ50 comments, he's last on the 26/01/09. Sorry I can't help any more.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back