• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this Ring-necked Duck wanted to mate with Ferruginous Duck? Morocco (1 Viewer)

Interesting observation - keep an eye out for some odd looking hybirds later in the year... Also, what a mouth-watering pic with ring-necked, fudge duck and marbled teal all together!

Geoff

I had a drake Ring Necked Duck on my local patch earlier this year, and it followed a female Pochard round all the time it was there and was attemtping to display to her on at least 1 occassion, so maybe it is a regular habit for this species when they reach this side of the pond?

I think the male Ring-necked Ducks that appear in Britain will display to anyhting resembling the female RND. Have you had many records of RND in Morocco before?

CB

keep an eye out for some odd looking hybirds later in the year... Also, what a mouth-watering pic with ring-necked, fudge duck and marbled teal all together!
We will certainly look for them as the wetland is relatively close to my home. Thanks for your description of the picture.

I had a drake Ring Necked Duck on my local patch earlier this year, and it followed a female Pochard round all the time it was there and was attemtping to display to her on at least 1 occassion, so maybe it is a regular habit for this species when they reach this side of the pond?
I think so too, and I think also that this has something to do with the rarity of one parent species (RND in this case).

I think the male Ring-necked Ducks that appear in Britain will display to anyhting resembling the female RND. Have you had many records of RND in Morocco before?
We generally record 1 or 2 annually (18 records from 1980 to 2003, and others recorded later), but one have to keep in mind that observation/birding effort in Morocco is very low in comparison to the situation in Europe.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back