• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites in SW (1 Viewer)

James Thomas

Whats the crack down there then? 18 reports on Birdguides today, are there no Red Kites down there normally? Has there been an influx ? etc

Cheers

I'd noticed this too and a quick search through the records over the past few days reveals quite a large scale movement, for example yesterday:
- 13 over the Kenidjack Valley in Cornwall
- 23 over Trefeiddan Common in Pembrokeshire
- 60 over Ramsey Island in Pembrokeshire
- 10 over St Just in Cornwall
- several others dotted around Cornwall

and today:
- 40+ over Porthgwarra in
- 46+ over Polgigga in
- 12 over Crows-an-Wra
- 7 over Zennor

So I'm assuming that there has been a big movement out of wales into the South West however the cause I do not know. Looking back through previous years records also seem to indicate similar large movements in late may/early june for the past few years...

Ive been checking on this and have been advised by RSPB that they are most probably Scottish birds, which were relocated from Noeway originally. They have kept their migratory instincts and are the main group pushing out across the whole UK. The welsh birds are very static in comparison.

Ive been checking on this and have been advised by RSPB that they are most probably Scottish birds, which were relocated from Noeway originally. They have kept their migratory instincts and are the main group pushing out across the whole UK. The welsh birds are very static in comparison.

Surely with the numbers involved, this could only be part of the reason for the influx.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back