• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sparrows in northern michigan (1 Viewer)

bgebz

bGebz
These two different guys were taken today, both by bodys of water. I thing one might be clay-colored?
Thanks!

Attachments

• sparrow%20unknown%20crop%202.jpg
    sparrow%20unknown%20crop%202.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Sparrow%20unknown%20cropped.jpg
    Sparrow%20unknown%20cropped.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 153
Hi bGebz,

Your first bird appears to be a Grasshopper Sparrow. Overall very buffy, with head stripes and plain underparts. The flat head and short tail are also characteristic of this species. The second bird is a Song Sparrow - long tail, rich brown overall, messy streaking...

cheers

Neil G.

Can't make out much detail on the first. Second's clearly a Spizella and looks like a Chipping at a quick glance.

#2 looks like a Song Sparrow to me. The bill is too big to be a Chippy's bill, and the face pattern is not that of a Chippy. The back and face pattern are good for Song Sparrow.

For photo1, the buffy/yellowish wash on the face suggests Le Conte's Sparrow to me - Grasshopper Sparrows, at least according to BNA Online's range map (I don't have my book with me), don't make it up to Northern Michigan.

As for photo2, I would agree with Microtus that the bill, plumage, and structure are wrong for Chipping. I agree with Song - yeah the super's not as gray as usual, but it's within variation. See attached image for anti-Chipping notes (including back color and patterning mentioned by Microtus - which also rules out an American Tree hypothesis).

Here are Chipping Sparrows at similar angles for comparison:
http://www.learnbirdsongs.com/images/chipping-sparrowwtmk.jpg
http://www.buschelmanphoto.com/Birds/chipping sparrow.jpg
molting: http://phillyist.com/attachments/philly_jill/Chipping Sparrow.jpg
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn...hipping+sparrow+dad+forgets+weaned+webjpg.jpg

Attachments

• sparrow.jpg
    sparrow.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 69
  • sparrow2.jpg
    sparrow2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 85
Grasshopper makes it all the way up Michigan (not the Upper Peninsula though) according to Sibley. The first bird is lacking the more patterned face (with a darker auricular, orange wash to supercillium and moustache area) and streaked flanks. So I agree with prairiemerlin with Grasshopper and Song.

Grasshopper makes it all the way up Michigan (not the Upper Peninsula though) according to Sibley.

I was assuming - perhaps prematurely - that "northern Michigan" was implying the upper peninsula. Bgebz, can you clarify?

The first bird is lacking the more patterned face (with a darker auricular, orange wash to supercillium and moustache area) and streaked flanks. So I agree with prairiemerlin with Grasshopper and Song.

I must say that I'm a little confused by your post, Birderbf. I'll go as far to say that I don't necessarily disagree with Grasshopper. Take range out of the equation and I would barely make it to Ammodramus sp.! But simultaneously, I'm not sure that you can confidently make all these calls considering how blurry and distant this photo is. I thought I could make out a dark auricular - I've attached a blow-up, but again, barely enough to go on.

For me, this is a call on range. If it's upper peninsula, I'll say probable Le Conte's. If it's lower peninsula, I'll say probable Grasshopper.

Attachments

• ammodramus.jpg
    ammodramus.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 76
  • ammodramus2.jpg
    ammodramus2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back