• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sony A9 (1 Viewer)

Sony talk about this as a wildlife/sports camera. Just wonder if/when Sony will release suitable telephoto lenses in the E-mount. At least 200-400/4, 400/2.8 and 600/4 would be needed to compete with Ni/Ca systems.

Will nikon/canon adapt mirrorless tech/electronic shutter in their pro cams eventually? I'm not sure...pro-cams with no hammering shutter sound?!! Wouldn't it be a bit like an electric and silent Ferrari? Not cool :)

Last edited:
Sony has added a new 100-400mm lens for this impressive new camera.
Not as bright as desired, but surely a strong start.
Meanwhile, I think most pros would prefer a silent camera, so that is another reason the new Sony is a real step forward.

All that aside though, other than a few fading glossy publications and some museums, who really buys the ultra high resolution photos these hulking cameras produce? Few people buy prints and the computer monitor mainstream is just getting to 4K.

Sony has added a new 100-400mm lens for this impressive new camera.
Not as bright as desired, but surely a strong start.
Meanwhile, I think most pros would prefer a silent camera, so that is another reason the new Sony is a real step forward.

All that aside though, other than a few fading glossy publications and some museums, who really buys the ultra high resolution photos these hulking cameras produce? Few people buy prints and the computer monitor mainstream is just getting to 4K.

It's a start, but is there a future?
Developing those long lenses will take time.
Current lenses + adapter + A9 will only manage 10 fps at the most according to Sony.
Seems that the A9 might be too fast and furious right now..;)

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/1937765842/sony-a9-why-being-better-might-not-be-enough

Last edited:
Returned a couple of weeks ago from two weeks in Florida. The she-boss and I brought back 24K files (the vast majority will never see the light of day); shooting 4-6 hours/day in most opportune spots yielding a lot of time mashing the shutter.
When I look at the 'keepers' I see the vast majority are at 400mm or 400mm + 1.4tc.
I took a 500mm and it would do just fine until I'd tire wielding it...maybe it was the venues we visited that were just made for 400mm? Only one place so far, Conowingo, that I've really felt 500 is needed and honestly at Conowingo 500mm is the minimum entry the times I've been there.
Point? For me elation that Sony would bring out the 100-400. My hope of course is that it performs as well as the gold standard zoom + TC the EOS 100-400ii and 1.4TCiii. Another point- that wildlife photographers can do fine with a 100-400mm if it performs, and even better if it can with the TC. Sports (i.e. football, soccer, tennis,etc.) I know nothing about :(
If so then I'm in.
Owning a6000, a6300, A7Rii and a99ii I have no doubts about the prowess to be of the alpha9. I've seen enough in reviews/you-tubes to be completely confident in this new body-heck I've done respectable BIF work with even the A7Rii and adatped EOS lenses.
What I'm not sure about is the combo of the 100-400 with TC. That is to be seen. On this trip to Florida I shot mainly with a 1DXii but also enjoyed the a99ii and an Oly M1ii. Each has it's own set of blessings. My favorite of the three was the Olympus. Why? Weight and age.
If the alpha9 with the zoom and tc mentioned are up to EOS standards of IQ then my days with Canon will draw to an end (I will keep my EOS M5 however, it works a charm with the 400/5.6 and is just a super concise and light wildlife kit). Canon has been very very good to me over the years and I'm sure there are many things about the platform I'll miss. Weight will not be one of them.
Here's an album link to a couple of the Florida keepers-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/medicineman4040/albums/72157680274375832
and here's a link to a BIF album which is mostly via EOS kit and again at 400mm with or without 1.4tc-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/medicineman4040/albums/72157662637724813

I have A7rii and enjoy the ISOless ability rendered in pp pulls of shadows. This is a wonderful trait in all recent Sony sensors (the sensor in the RX100v, the first stacked sensor from Sony in cameras, punches far far beyond it's 1 inch size) all having this ability but it's a continuum and the A7Rii/A7Sii have a huge range from which to pull. Despite DPR's assessment you will still be able to pull with this sensor, just not as much as the A7Rii/A7S/A7Sii. That's just a trade off for 20fps and no shutter.....just think of moving that much information that quickly even with the memory so closely associated/embedded with the sensor itself=noise will simply have to happen. That said I can only pull so much with the 1DXii as well.
Truthfully DR and shadow pulling are not a concern I have with the alpha9, in fact when I look through my BIF album I'm not finding many shots taken at dawn or dusk :)
So I'm comparing the a9 and the 1DXii, theory at this point for the a9 and hard reality with the 1DXii. What I've found in my BIF'ing is the need to crop...and often heavily...in this vain I get more keepers with my 7Dii than the 1DXii simply because of pixel density. I remember Tony Northrup pointing out that you can get greater pixel density with a Rebel! That said the a9 will grant you 4 million more pixels than a D5 or 1DXii, so yet another advantage for the Sony.
And I'd bet most reading this thread have heard the rumor of a Sony e-mount 400mm within the next two quarters=huge news!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back