• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdfair 2009 - art marquee highlights (1 Viewer)

Steve Dudley

aka The Toadsnatcher
United Kingdom
What a three days Birdfair 2009 was. The organisers and those running the show take the plaudits for another great event. The weather helped too!

In the limited time I had between my own commitments, I spent some time as usual in the art marquee and just wanted to flag up a few things.

Carry Akroyd - the wonder woman continues on top form and she had some new great paintings and screen prints. And her Langford Press art book will be out in November. Can't wait!

And if Carry Akroyd is your thing, then Lisa Hooper should be too. This was Lisa's first time at the Birdfair and her work gave me the same goosebumps I had when I first saw Carry exhibit. When spending resumes (house renovation means other spending is currently on hold!) then some of Lisa's work is destined for our new walls!

Liz and I fell in love with Nicola Theakston's ceramics when she first showed at the Birdfair some years back. As much as we were further tempted by her fabulous Polar Bear and African Wild Dog, these too will have to wait!

The art marquee also houses several excellent photographers, and for me PhotoArt by Tony Mills and Kowapower (David Hatton) really stood out. In particular Tony's action photo montages are just fabulous!

The art sages were of course present with personal favourites Robert Gillmor and Mike Warren receiving much attention as usual.

If you went I hoped you enjoyed the art marquee as much as we did. How we didn't spend any more remains a feat of great discipline! I can't wait for normal spending to resume!

Hi Steve,

I share your enthusiasm for the work of both Carry Ackroyd and Lisa Hooper, and in the end my all too limited cash went on a nice Lisa Hooper print of a Brown Hare.

Stuart

Hi Stuart. A nice buy! I loved Lisa's A-Z of birds and her Redshanks just to name two. I've got a few of Carry's and she recently borrowed three from me for her book.

It was soooo frustrating not being able to buy anything for the second year running!

Hi Steve,

Great minds think alike etc etc.

We bought three of Lisa's small prints (little owl, marbled white and oystercatcher/Arran) having blown the budget on Carry last year. Sorry I didn't see you to say hello.

We'll have to get together beforehand next year and divvy up who gets what <big grin>

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi guy's Unfortunatley I could not attend the fair but would be interested in seeing some examples of the work you guy's are talking about . Do Lisa and Carry have websites we can check out??

Dohh..... Sorry about that Steve thankyou!! Wow very nice work from all listed.
I particularly liked Carry's work. Will have to make sure I attend the next one.

Oooh looking at Lisa Hooper's website I see she has an exhibition at Brantwood, Coniston from September 4th - November 1st......whilst I am on holiday in Cumbria :t: Definitely going along to see it!!! :king:

A number of years ago when I first read John Busby's 'Drawing Birds' the foreword mentioned the Art Fair, which I'd never heard of before. I guess that's no geatt surprise since I live thousands of miles from it. Still it stuck in my mind as something I'd like to see.

So it's been a pleasure to read this thread and particularly to be led to artists I'm not familiar with! I have to say I'm taken with Carry Akroyd's work as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back