• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Jeez - how did you binonerds miss this?!

New Zeiss Victory SF in 8x42, and 10x42.

92% transmission (but not more *teehee*), wide-angle fields, decent ER, and a triple bridge design that's guaranteed to have Swaro's Legal Eagles running straight to Brock for advice !! |8.| :-O

Feast your eyes peeps :cat:
http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_de/landingpages/world-s-best-birding-binoculars.html
http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...-binoculars/victory-sf-binoculars.html#models
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Sp...s-article/Press-Information_VICTORY-SF_EN.pdf

Chosun :gh:

Headline specs: Schmidt-Pechan roofs, Ultra-FL-Type objectives, 92% transmission, 780g, 18mm ER

8x42:
148 (count 'em) m @ 1000m Fov, which they are saying is 64 degrees - so something skewiff there already....

10x42:
120 (count 'em) m @ 1000m Fov, which they are saying is 65 degrees - so something skewiff there again....

Haha .... my bad - thanks Pete.

Not sure if those links I posted are in that thread, but they came off the Oz website today.

Something a bit fishy about those Fov specs (either the angle, or width measurement contains a typo).

Everything is fine and seems interesting, but not the Swaro-look open bridge. Why those Zeiss deisgners not having something more creative or they want to tell us that the HT's high bridge is second ?

So SF is Zeiss' answer to the Swarovision.....

SF:- Super Flat field, or Super Fast focuser,

Either way Brock's not gunna like it! :-C

And that's before he checks the sticker price! :eek!:

Everything is fine and seems interesting, but not the Swaro-look open bridge. Why those Zeiss deisgners not having something more creative or they want to tell us that the HT's high bridge is second ?

It does seem strange to go to this "open-bridge style" after trumpeting the benefits of the HT "high H bridge", but Zeiss do say that it allows the focusing mechanism (lens elements?) to be moved further back, thus improving balance. I think it's just a further attempt to differentiate from the HT .....not that the field prescription (flat v's circle of condition) doesn't already do that.

So SF is Zeiss' answer to the Swarovision.....

SF:- Super Flat field, or Super Fast focuser,

Either way Brock's not gunna like it! :-C

And that's before he checks the sticker price! :eek!:

SF appears to stand for Smart Focus.

From the Zeiss site:

"The outstanding SMART FOCUS concept allows you to respond as quickly and intuitively as if the binoculars were your seventh sense."

From the press release:

"All of these features are combined in the comfortable focusing ergonomics under the name of “Smart Focus”, abbreviated in the model name with “SF.”

SF appears to stand for Smart Focus.

From the Zeiss site:

"The outstanding SMART FOCUS concept allows you to respond as quickly and intuitively as if the binoculars were your seventh sense."

From the press release:

"All of these features are combined in the comfortable focusing ergonomics under the name of “Smart Focus”, abbreviated in the model name with “SF.”

Cheers B :) Bruce :t:

Still don't think Brock's gunna like it ..... even if Zeiss do claim "The equally new seven-lens eyepiece with field flattener creates a sharp image all the way to the edges, an especially large field of view and greatly reduced “globe effect” that can annoy some."

Jeez - how did you binonerds miss this?!

New Zeiss Victory SF in 8x42, and 10x42.

92% transmission (but not more *teehee*), wide-angle fields, decent ER, and a triple bridge design that's guaranteed to have Swaro's Legal Eagles running straight to Brock for advice !! |8.| :-O

Feast your eyes peeps :cat:
http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_de/landingpages/world-s-best-birding-binoculars.html
http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...-binoculars/victory-sf-binoculars.html#models
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Sp...s-article/Press-Information_VICTORY-SF_EN.pdf

MISS IT?- see Experiencce New Birding thread, we have been discussing for two weeks

edj

Bridges….

Some thoughts on the HT - SF bridges (having held neither).

Perhaps the HT is meant for larger (predominantly male) gloved hands of hunters whereas the SF bridge design intended to accommodate ungloved male and female hands.

If "feeling good to the hand" is important (it is to me), that might explain things.

Mike

Bridges….

Some thoughts on the HT - SF bridges (having held neither).

Perhaps the HT is meant for larger (predominantly male) gloved hands of hunters whereas the SF bridge design intended to accommodate ungloved male and female hands.

If "feeling good to the hand" is important (it is to me), that might explain things.

Mike

Hi Mike

I haven't held and SF yet but HT feels so good in the hands that last winter I was leaving my gloves off just to enjoy the wonderful feel of the HTs. And yes they handle just fine with winter gloves on.

BTW there is a press release about SF available on the Zeiss website.

Lee

92% transmission (but not more *teehee*), wide-angle fields, decent ER, and a triple bridge design that's guaranteed to have Swaro's Legal Eagles running straight to Brock for advice !!

Such designs with a triple bridge have been around for such a long time, e.g. in porros with long objective tubes, that I seriously doubt there'll be any legal problems with it. AFAIK Swarovski's patent covers the focussing mechanism, and I very much doubt the one Zeiss uses is in any way similar to it ... 8-P

Hermann

Haha .... my bad - thanks Pete.

Not sure if those links I posted are in that thread, but they came off the Oz website today.

Something a bit fishy about those Fov specs (either the angle, or width measurement contains a typo).

Do you mean the AFOV specs look too low for the naive (magnification X real field) method and too high for the ISO method? Could be they are actual measurements of the true angle subtended by the apparent field, which would include the effects of distortion. Swarovski AFOV specs appear to be done that way now. It's a good idea, but obviously AFOV specs done that way can only be compared to others done the same way.

From here on I think I'll post to the old thread to prevent confusion.

Looks to be a good bino but comes at a steep increase in cost....2435 Euros or $3300. It sure seems that optics (lens, bino's and scopes) are getting very pricey. You pay for what you get but wow, just think if you opted for the newest out there in terms of scopes and bino's what your wallet would look like.

Can one afford both the scope and the bino's now? Is that the message now hitting us?

Looks to be a good bino but comes at a steep increase in cost....2435 Euros or $3300. It sure seems that optics (lens, bino's and scopes) are getting very pricey. You pay for what you get but wow, just think if you opted for the newest out there in terms of scopes and bino's what your wallet would look like.

Can one afford both the scope and the bino's now? Is that the message now hitting us?

I feel this discussion is a bit exaggerated.
Firstly, adviced prices at launch are never shop prices.
Second, binocular prices have not gone up. You can obtain a binocular with the same quality for the same price + inflation. 20 years ago, the top binocular cost around 1000 euro. With 3% inflation a year, this is equal to 1750 euro in 2014. At this price point, you have better binoculars nowadays.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back