• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parque Xel Ha, Yucatan - request for info (1 Viewer)

Julian H

This spot, north Tulum is semmingly good for birds, and has produced Ornate Hawk Egale. There is a road leading west opposite the PArque on the map, to the Dos Ojos Cenote.

Can anyone expound on this spot and how/where to bird?

Thanks,

Julian

Not me, unfortunately, that is not a spot I have checked. Hawk Eagles are found around the Calakmul area as well.

Niels

Ornate Hawk-Eagle is present in the area but there are no one spot for it, I'll recomend you the site of Muyil, a small archaeological site south of Tulum where you can find Tawny-crowned Greenlet near the ruins

Birded here 26 November. Just walk around the tracks to the Cenote and back. Saw Great Kiskadee, Orange Oriole, Gray Catbird, Tropical Kingbird, Northern Waterthrush, Plain Chachalaca, Masked Tityra, Yucatan Vireo, Collared Aracari, Altamira Oriole, Hooded Warbler, Sqirrel Cuckoo and Yellow throated Vireo. It was early afternoon and obviously not the best time for birding. Had just been to the ruins at Muyil and down through woodland, then mangroves to top part of Sian Ka’an Reserve which should throw up a better range of birds and well worth a visit.

Just missed yoy Mark. I Birded Muyil a couple of times, the ruins being quieter than expected. My first trip, I Birded the road that leads to the boat launch that road had plenty of birds, including good looks at Mayan Anthrush.
I'll post another report when I have time!

Mayan Antthrush seems to be the same as I know by Mexican Antthrush. I have seen that one around the second payment site on the Calakmul road.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back