• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK ... deep breath! These are my efforts (1 Viewer)

Without meaning to be rude, I don't like the pink either.....perhaps you should make a point of photographing it in natural light, take it outside if necessary.(difficult with current weather)

Joanne

Did what you suggested (and also added a touch more paint to sky & more shadow, a rather desparately overworked water colour now but perhaps a little better I think)

Thanks for all your comments guys (had a crisis of confidence after posting the last lot |:$| |:$| )

Attachments

• seaweed combat2.JPG
    seaweed combat2.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 85
Yes it's a progressive step this deborah. I like the pastel colourwork too - terribly difficult medium to get at all convincing in my experience. well done.

Yes it's a progressive step this deborah. .

Been staring at it (probably for too long!) - and thinking it could do with some working up of the foreground now and more detail on birds ... hmm - probably should have attempted it in acrylic/oil instead, paper's still holding up tho!

'Peace' to you too, CCRII ;)

Only been away a fortnight and this thread has movd on full throttle! I'm really pleased to see you experimenting with new ideas, new techniques, enjoying the process, deciding there are things you like and things you don't like so much, then moving on and trying something else a bit different, your ideas don't stand still.

I'm really pleased to see pigeons and gulls getting a look-in aswell. Beautiful birds.

Nice to see you back Nick!

A few from Pags the other day - tbh, most of the sketches were b***dy awful - am struggling with my eyes at the moment - my scope is just a handheld and I also wear glasses for drawing which i have to take off to look through scope - trying to use both at same time or changing from one to the other results in blurred vision because of an increasingly bad stigmatism in one eye! A few Greenfinch in the garden too ...

Attachments

• avocet1aug07.JPG
    avocet1aug07.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 59
  • avocet2aug07.JPG
    avocet2aug07.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 63
  • avocet3aug07.JPG
    avocet3aug07.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 51
  • lapwingaug07.JPG
    lapwingaug07.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 64
  • lapwingaug072.JPG
    lapwingaug072.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 62
that lapwing coming towards us is top stuff, I think what you're calling b***dy awful is what I'd call b***dy daring. The experimentation is paying off and I'd love to be able to draw greenfinches with that much character!

Another resounding success, Deborah - I love the 2nd avocet drawing particularly and the bottom right greenfinch study has bags of character - great stuff.
Oh - I remember you struggling with that scope up here (piccalo, isn't it? - I wonder why you don't bother with a tripod for it? You could get one fairly cheaply of 't'internet).

Going from strength to strength Deborah, lovely set of sketches, first lapwing is so alive and I love the effective simplicity of the third avocet sketch, really appeals to me that.

Well, seeing as everyone else has had their say I'll have mine;)

I reckon you latest efforts are great, specialy like the Redshanks from your earlier post and the Lapwings:t:

I'd say definately stick with that tinted paper, though isn't it a bit pricey using it for fieldsketches?

Keep posting!

Matt

ps, regarding that tripod, get yourself a manfrotto 676B for 30 odd £'s, they're a great alternative to tripods!

Last edited:
Many thanks Alan, Mouldy, Buzzard, Arthur, Nick ... Probably said it before but from artists such as yourselves, such comments are doubly appreciated - Respect to ya!

Tim - I'm not sure what to do to resolve the visual difficulties - I have a camera tripod but it's too heavy to take into the field along with pads, binos, the Piccalo, lunch etc etc - on foot it's a rather cumbersome load especially with an arthritic neck Lol - (it also ripped the rubber seating on the Piccalo a few weeks ago. :C A table top tripod came with the Piccalo but the benches in hides are too low for me to sit and look through the angle of the scope - and it's too 'short' to sit on ground and look through. Also with a scope, it is monocular which isn't brilliant if one of your eyes has a completely different optimum focus than the other one which you are trying to use to draw with - just practical issues which will come together eventually I expect. The upside is that perhaps for me, it's good practice for drawing birds from Gizz.

I probably need the whole caboodle set up but don't have the money for that tbh. Now if someone could design me a pair of Bino Goggles that I could wear which would auto focus from pad to bird .....:-O

Matt - I hear you - but I think the merit in coloured paper for me is that I don't have a spanking white piece of clean paper in front of me, so I'm a little braver about making marks on it - Glad you like the 'end product' though ;) - I may start putting a colour wash onto my sketch pads before I start drawing ...

Matt

ps, regarding that tripod, get yourself a manfrotto 676B for 30 odd £'s, they're a great alternative to tripods!

What's that Matt? Ok just googled - can't see how that works?! Being a bit daft probably but how does it stand up on it's own, while I'm using my hands to draw with?

Last edited:
What's that Matt?

One of these!!

Very lightweight and easy to pack, they work even better when seated or in a hide. I use mine with the zoom down to 20x which is well suited for sea watching/waders etc.

Though perhaps not quite so useful when sketching were you really need the scope to be trained on a particularly bird/scene!

Matt

Attachments

• monopod (Custom).jpg
    monopod (Custom).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I have an angled scope, so it would need to be able to go very short for table top use but longer for on the ground - the angle's part of the problem I think - I also need ''hands free'' - will it suit that?

Revised ;) lapwing w/c from one of the drawings above: Am having real trouble trying to photo watercolours and upload them without altering original colours etc - 1st one taken without a flash outside but for some reason ends up blurred each time?? 2nd one turned pink again but isn't as blurred (camera doesn't like flash being turned off manually I suppose) - anyway this was too large to scan.

Attachments

• lapwingwater colourAug07.JPG
    lapwingwater colourAug07.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 65
  • lapwing water colour.JPG
    lapwing water colour.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back