• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A long wait for a long eared owl (1 Viewer)

johnmichael

Well folks, i'm feeling pretty pleased /with myself at the moment.After 20 years my nemesis owl has finally been bagged[not shot,don't panic] at a county durham forest.It was an adult in broad daylight and he/she was obviously in hunting mode at the forest moor interface.A lovely green woodpecker slowed me down and may have prevented me from flushing the owl.I thought it was just another tawny owl at first he/she was so big,but gradually those vivid orange eyes appered in my slightly shaky bins,boy was i happy.
Green woodpeckers definitely bring me luck!

Well done John,
yet to see a Long eared Owl myself, so can imagine how chuffed you were to finally get a sighting of one.

Mark

leo

MH68 said:
Well done John,
yet to see a Long eared Owl myself, so can imagine how chuffed you were to finally get a sighting of one.

Mark
thanks mark,what made it special for me was that it was purely my own discovery[no birdline etc],.........regards.........john.

johnmichael said:
Well folks, i'm feeling pretty pleased /with myself at the moment.After 20 years my nemesis owl has finally been bagged[not shot,don't panic] at a county durham forest.It was an adult in broad daylight and he/she was obviously in hunting mode at the forest moor interface.A lovely green woodpecker slowed me down and may have prevented me from flushing the owl.I thought it was just another tawny owl at first he/she was so big,but gradually those vivid orange eyes appered in my slightly shaky bins,boy was i happy.
Green woodpeckers definitely bring me luck!

Hi John,
Best things come to those who wait......

You may be interested in these links to DBC web-site & our Owl Study Group:-
http://www.durhambirdclub.org/7.birdsofdurham/658.LongEaredOwl.html
http://www.durhambirdclub.org/index.html

Photo by IanF
SE

Attachments

• 21LEO_180104Picture_018o.jpg
    21LEO_180104Picture_018o.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DBCMembershipForm.doc
    52 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
thanks for those links steve,owls are very special birds.I'm signing off now,beer is called for........regards...........john

Never tried to find a Long Eared Owl in the forests, they tend to overwinter in country parks in the North-West and are much easier to spot (well, they're not really, but the wardens know exactly which bush they're in). Did see a record six Short-Eared Owls over a weekend at a friend's on Tees-side once.

Good one

Good one John, Still haven't broken the Duck on Long-eared Owl, if that's not mixing my bird metaphors too much. Good to know they can still be seen this time of year. Time for a trip to my local wood again.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back