• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what are the "weaknesses" if any of the 8.5x42 EL? (1 Viewer)

I've had minor blackouts with my EL from the beginning, & I still get them if I'm not careful about eye positioning. Most people don't seem to have this problem, so it's doubtless just a matter of how I hold the binoculars &/or my particular facial features. The blackouts tend to be worse with panning, probably (I would guess) because panning leads to slight jiggling movements disrupting precise eye positioning.

Bottom line: if you don't have the blackouts, don't worry about them.

Is that with the eyecups all the way out?

Dennis

I've had minor blackouts with my EL from the beginning, & I still get them if I'm not careful about eye positioning. Most people don't seem to have this problem, so it's doubtless just a matter of how I hold the binoculars &/or my particular facial features. The blackouts tend to be worse with panning, probably (I would guess) because panning leads to slight jiggling movements disrupting precise eye positioning.

Bottom line: if you don't have the blackouts, don't worry about them.

Fugl,

I found the fully extended eyecups on the 8.5x42 EL to be slightly too short for my face, which caused the same effect you describe. The eyecups can be unscrewed a little beyond the normal fully extended position without falling off and I recall someone here with the same problem replacing the eyecups with 7x42 SLC cups which are longer.

I used this binocular for about six years. IMO its greatest virtue is that no optical characteristic is significantly weak, but at the same time no optical characteristic is fully state of the art either. I'm waiting for the new EL, which does have the potential for best optical performance in every category, except perhaps light transmission since that will still be slightly compromised by the Schmidt-Pechan prism.

Henry

LOL! That´s the problem, really. I wasn´t aware of all these negatives until I became BF-binocular-thread-obsessed....

ME TOO!
Everyday, everyhour, everyminute I press Refresh on the Binoculars page of BF!

Honestly, I prefer this forum instead of that other famous forum supported by a famous store... you know what I am talking about.

The new ones might be the best but these "old" ones are not bad & priced @ 1700 new. The new ones are going to be what 2500? From what I have seen, they are pretty darn near state of the art, certainly not "average" across the board.
The question is what will the new ones be better at? I consider these to have a flat field/wide sweet spot & certainly bright although a step below the FL in that. The new ones won't have abbe konig either & I believe they will use additional lenses to produce an even flatter field? That can't help light transmission typically. I do like the rubber armor on the new ones on the inside of the barrel.

"fizzog"... What! Sancho you are priceless! What the heck is "fizzog"
Sorry CL, I meant "physiogn-" ....."physiognmim-"..."physognomin-"B :)....Shape of Face.....
(not my own expression, though...I think I first saw "Fizzog" used in a P.G. Wodehouse book years ago....)

On the FOV issue, yes, EL 8.5x42 has what, 7.4 degrees? But it seems much wider to me in use, and I´m an FOV freak. I do find the extra half-degree of mag very, very impressive.

Last edited:
The new ones might be the best but these "old" ones are not bad & priced @ 1700 new. The new ones are going to be what 2500? ...

EL 8,5, current model, list price: 1930 E.
EL 8,5, new model "2010", list price: 2195 E

That's an increase of 12%.
Not much given that there's an entirely new optical system in them.

If you take into accout the regular annual price increases of models that have been around for years .....

EL 8,5, current model, list price: 1930 E.
EL 8,5, new model "2010", list price: 2195 E

That's an increase of 12%.
Although the current EL 8.5x42 is available in England now for about 1,540 euro. That´s still a hell of a price (I got mine last February for about 1,100, it seemed a lot at the time but now I´m glad!) There was a pair on the Classifieds section recently that took a BF member ages to sell, don´t know why because the price was seriously good. As regards the "neu" EL, I think I´ll pass....the "old" EL is good enough for me!:t:

Although the current EL 8.5x42 is available in England now for about 1,540 euro. That´s still a hell of a price (I got mine last February for about 1,100, it seemed a lot at the time but now I´m glad!) There was a pair on the Classifieds section recently that took a BF member ages to sell, don´t know why because the price was seriously good. As regards the "neu" EL, I think I´ll pass....the "old" EL is good enough for me!:t:

I agree, the "old" is close to perefect

I'm waiting for the new EL, which does have the potential for best optical performance in every category, except perhaps light transmission since that will still be slightly compromised by the Schmidt-Pechan prism.

And of course the two additional air/glass surfaces due to the double floating element focussing lenses required to achieve a close focus of 1,5m.
This, I am told, is the cause of the production difficulties with the new Swarovision ELs.
BTW, who needs (or can use) a close focus of 1,5m in a binocular? It is equivalent to viewing with both (naked) eyes at 18cm and would require quite a squint. Just another senseless marketing superlative IMHO.

John

John,

Could you explain that a little more. What does "double floating element focusing lenses" mean? Do you mean there is an air-spaced doublet focuser?

Henry

BTW, who needs (or can use) a close focus of 1,5m in a binocular?

I agree, 2 m is available in many bins already now and is absolutely sufficient, I think.
I guess that's more an attempt of making a bin with better specs compared to the competition than addressing real needs.

But well, probably one should try first before saying that's useless...

I agree, 2 m is available in many bins already now and is absolutely sufficient, I think.
I guess that's more an attempt of making a bin with better specs compared to the competition than addressing real needs.

But well, probably one should try first before saying that's useless...

Well, actually, no. ;)

It may not be important to a birder/hunter/astronomer, but it would be an attractive feature to a naturalist, and very attractive to folk who are dragon fly and butterfly watchers. That is a niche, but a growing market segment for binoculars. They even have their own assortment of field guides now. So, an "all-around" bino would have a very close focus.

For example, my "idea" instrument (being i am into primarily astro,crows & ants) would be an 8x or 10x 50mm with "no" CA, alpha glass image quality, and the close focus of my Papilios:t: ....assuming i could lift them :eek!:

Fugl,

I found the fully extended eyecups on the 8.5x42 EL to be slightly too short for my face, which caused the same effect you describe. The eyecups can be unscrewed a little beyond the normal fully extended position without falling off and I recall someone here with the same problem replacing the eyecups with 7x42 SLC cups which are longer.

I used this binocular for about six years. IMO its greatest virtue is that no optical characteristic is significantly weak, but at the same time no optical characteristic is fully state of the art either. I'm waiting for the new EL, which does have the potential for best optical performance in every category, except perhaps light transmission since that will still be slightly compromised by the Schmidt-Pechan prism.

Henry

I'll try & get hold of some SLC cups & see if that doesn't solves the problem. Many thanks for the suggestion.

John,Could you explain that a little more. What does "double floating element focusing lenses" mean? Do you mean there is an air-spaced doublet focuser? Henry

Henry,

If I understood the Swaro rep. correctly, there are two focussing lenses per barrel, which move independently of one another. This together with a diopter adjustment in an open bridge construction must be quite a mechanical marvel.
My dealer told me BTW that the EL focussing mechanism has something in common with desmodromic valve actuation.

Regards,

John

Thanks John. Two focusing elements moving independently would be quite a complication.

The cut-away Tom provided seems to show a normal singlet focusing lens in front of the prism. I wonder of the doublet just behind the prism also moves?

Henry

I wonder of the doublet just behind the prism also moves?

Didn't notice that. It rather looks as if that could be the case. Unfortunately I have been unable to find a cutaway of the old EL.
I see that Swarovski are now quoting 20mm eye relief for both Swarovision ELs.
I tested the top three 10x42s yesterday (and purchased the Zeiss Victory FL).
The Swaro 10x42 EL (old version) soon fell out of contention due to, among other things, its poor eye relief.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back