• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus wheel removal? (1 Viewer)

CliveP

Does anyone know how to remove a focus wheel?

I think the focusing has been slipping on one side of this binocular and so I have needed to progressively adjust the diopter to max + and now that isn't enough.

So my theory is that perhaps I could get the now wobbling focus wheel off to see what is loose and perhaps be able to adjust it back to how it should be i.e with the diopter set on zero. I can't see any problem with the diopter itself as when I adjust it I can actually see the ocular moving up and down accordingly which is weird as it's a roof bin.

Anyhow the focus wheel is metal with what seems like a center cap so I assume this needs to come off first or something.

I'm thinking it's probably not possible without basically destroying the cap at least and possibly the wheel also but it's a lost cause Bresser otherwise, as it seems I'm not going to get much or any satisfaction from them under the warranty that it is supposed to have.

Maybe they have a special tool or something.

Anyway I think that is all that is wrong with it but it is the kind of binocular that if the two sides are out even very slightly then it's basically unusable.

Did you actually contact Bresser and ask them what you should do? I would at least send them an email with a copy of your posting.

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866.252.3811
Fax: 479.717.2898

Bresser LLC is a JOC Company
621 Madison Street, Springdale, AR 72762

Did you actually contact Bresser and ask them what you should do? I would at least send them an email with a copy of your posting.

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866.252.3811
Fax: 479.717.2898

Bresser LLC is a JOC Company
621 Madison Street, Springdale, AR 72762

Yes I actually did, contacted them on Sunday and replied to them this morning and heard nothing since.

Just out of curiosity at minimum I was wondering why these focus wheels start to loosen and wobble and how they get them on and off if anyone knew.

I do know how to contact Bresser which was my first port of call. They weren't of any help and had all day since morning to respond but didn't so and I'm not really holding my breath that they will get back to me but maybe tomorrow perhaps?

Last edited:
Yes I actually did, contacted them on Sunday and replied to them this morning and heard nothing since.

Just out of curiosity at minimum I was wondering why these focus wheels start to loosen and wobble and how they get them on and off if anyone knew.

I do know how to contact Bresser which was my first port of call. They weren't of any help and had all day since morning to respond but didn't so and I'm not really holding my breath that they will get back to me but maybe tomorrow perhaps?

They loosen because of planned obsolescence. All focus wheels are not alike. Please post a photo.

Cheers,

Bill

They loosen because of planned obsolescence. All focus wheels are not alike. Please post a photo.

Cheers,

Bill

I was actually going to laugh at your planned obsolescence statement Bill but then I see you are a tech who should know so exactly the kind of person this thread needs, but I think they got the planning wrong in this case as it loosened on only the second trip out, a couple of days after receiving it new, but I think the focus was slipping right from the off.

I don't know what a photo will show (and I'd have to get my camera, change lens etc etc etc) except that the focus wheel tilts because it is has become loose but it is still fixed on, just rubs and wobbles a bit now when you turn it. It's a Bresser Everest 8x28 and there are many photos online.

Is there a mechanism normally under the focus wheel that holds it in place and something to adjust the focusing for each side? or as you suggest some designed to fail part. I'd like to know more about that as I'm sure would many here.

Do you think my theory of what may be wrong with this binocular makes any sense or could you say what might possibly be wrong given what I have described.

I basically asked Bresser for a replacement rather than mess about over this one as I never liked how it focused from the beginning and the hinge was loose and it's really a binocular that unless everything is working well then it isn't a very pleasant experience to use or own so I'm thinking of just binning it but I may use it as something of a cadaver first to explorer some of the workings of these things.

But before I do that I thought it might be worth asking if I could fix it myself but it doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:
In most roof binoculars, the common focus drives a rod
that engages two pushrods that go to the two sides.
In each side, either the objective or a middle 'focusing lens'
is pushed back and forth on a 'sled' by a pushrod.

When I've seen focusing troubles (twice), it had to do with
with the positioning of the little washers that engage a pushrod,
or the way the position was nudged by the diopter.
Success both times.

This might seem complicated, but it all took place in one
'transmission box', and moving things showed the problem...
a skipped disk, or one that wasn't cinched into place right
(so there was that progressive slipping).
So your theory is quite close to what happens.
If you can't get a replacement, all is not lost. It all comes together
in one place, usually.

It's best to bug Bresser, but don't toss them if Bresser balks.

Thanks guys, that is the very one in the vid. I think he said binocularski is the extent of my my Russian.....

but how the hell do they get the focus wheel off? or how are they dismantled in general. Are there any vids for that about. Would be good to see such a thing for a roof. I've seen prism cleaning and such for porros. I've binned a couple of roofs in the past when I really should have pulled them to bits for a nosey first.

I think Bresser has shown their colours pretty clearly as they have ignored two more mails I sent so I opened a returns claim on faulty goods with ebay so that should take forever. I packed them away and can forget about it for now at least.

I'm back to enjoying my Vistron 8x25. That is a super little compact. It somehow really gives a big cinematic view that is not quite typical of a compact but very enjoyable.

I was almost thinking of writing to Viking and asking them to reintroduce it. I can't believe how it got discontinued or perhaps the Vistron Pro 8x32 is even better but then it's not quite a compact like this 8x25.

The Everest is bigger than the Vistron but I still felt it a good size for my uses but there we go. Win some lose some.

Last edited:
Yes took a few pics while I packed them for return to Bresser to have a look at them.

You can read the details in my other pretty dreadful thread
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=312223

I tried to show the movement in the focus wheel by taking two photos at the extremes of movement but it's only 2mm or so at the base of the wheel so hard to see and I also took a pic of the top of the focuser and some others.

I'll try and add them shortly but it's good that Bresser will now deal with it.

Attachments

• IMG_5753.JPG
    IMG_5753.JPG
    474.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5747.JPG
    IMG_5747.JPG
    556.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5754.JPG
    IMG_5754.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5757.JPG
    IMG_5757.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5759.JPG
    IMG_5759.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back