• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question... (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I am posting a photo of this Juvenile Gull to see how easy or difficult it is for people to identify. I do not want to give the country but will say Europe or Asia.

If you know for certain what it is then dont say a word please. I know what it is unless it suddenly turns out to be something else.

What would people think it is and why? One thing I do not know is the age though - will it be a year old more or less?

Attachments

• JuvGull.jpg
    JuvGull.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 126
There are no prizes for correct guesses. Anyway its more aimed at those who are not too experienced. Do rememebr that! Also do state WHY you think it is whatever you say it is.

Last edited:
Interesting.....I should have also asked why do people say why they guess what it is as well.

Well i'll be honest and say it was little more than a total stab in the dark.

I said Caspian because that was just the general impression I got from small pear shaped head long bill etc and I said 3cy because of the grey on the mantle being part of adult plumage so I thought that it may be a bit older than 1st or 2nd year but that may well all be complete rubbish.

I would say that is a 2cy bird. It would be nice to know when it was taken the pic.
For the moment, I'm somewhere between Yellow-legged and Caspian...I'll be back.
It is also useful to write the word "gull" in the threads title...

Last edited:
Not at all rubbish! In fact not just testing peoples opinions but it is also very educational for me .....I would love to be an expert on Gulls one day..but the more I learn...the less I know!

Well i'll be honest and say it was little more than a total stab in the dark.

I said Caspian because that was just the general impression I got from small pear shaped head long bill etc and I said 3cy because of the grey on the mantle being part of adult plumage so I thought that it may be a bit older than 1st or 2nd year but that may well all be complete rubbish.

The jizz of the bird it's somehow difficult to judge, because the bird is in an alert posture. So, the neck and the legs look rather long, but...

It´s not a Caspian - structure, billshape, large eye etc.. but may be a 2cy YLG as suggested by Lou, somewhere around April - March.

JanJ

Well the photo was taken in Portugal in the first week of May. It was indentified as a Yellow-Legged Gull by another (but that does not mean it was).

Why cant it be a Herring Gull or any other silver back?

thanks for the links and every one elses input..i have learnt a lot from this thread.......main lesson...keep well away from Gull id! LOL......

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back