• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Diafuns for sale (1 Viewer)

Three of them @ $279.99 each. "Very Slightly Used, very little to no cosmetic damage."

A chance to own the "blue shield" for the price of a Monarch 5.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-8x30-B-MC-Diafun-Binocular-/271146811332?pt=Binocular&hash=item3f219bffc4

<B>

Brock:

Interesting find, but I would pass in favor of something newer.
If the new Zeiss Terra ED is starting out at $349.99 at Cameraland, and
available in March, I would be patient and wait, if you need the big blue Z emblem.

They will have demos under $300. within 6 months.

Jerry

Lee,
I am of the opinion that you misjudge the quality of the CL Companion. I have thouroughly tested the CL and it is better then the SLC New 8x30, both from the point of view of optical performance as well comfort of handling is concerned. Apart from the test results I have also investigated its performance as a travel binocular under different conditions: long distance walking, birding, backpacking in the mountains, in humid conditions, at temperatues ranging from minus 15 Celsius up to 35 Celsius and it performed very well in all these circumstances and it was very handy to use. Yes, the field of view is smaller than that of the 8x32 SV, Victory FL or Ultravid HD, but that did not disturb me. Do not forget that the sharp field of view of the eye is limited and one has to scan over the FOV to watch it entirely. So, I do not quite understand the negative atmosphere around this binocular, it is very small and lightweight and it is much handier than an 8x20 compact. The Diafun is of a very different caliber, I have investigated its qualities also some years ago and I was not impressed and it most certainly never reached the popularity the CL already has for many customers.
Gijs

Norm, really? Referencing BVD? If you say so! I thought this guy a clown about a decade ago when he was still partially relevant.

The Tasco bins I envisioned were the $20 types that grandparents buy for their grandchildren as stocking stuffers. In retrospect my comment might have been unfair to Tasco.

I know this probably reads as pretty harsh but really those Diafuns were quite the piece of...

Here are my recollections, FWIW....

The hinge squeaked when moved, the hard plastic body was slippery and cold, the focus wheel had SO much stiction that it would spring back to out of focus when released, and the fit and finish looked like it, um, wasn't finished.

Optically? I just don't recall as the rest was so unacceptable.

At the time I looked at Diafuns I had a Contax G rangefinder camera with three Zeiss lenses. I was in love with the quality and brilliant optics of these and considered myself a big fan of Zeiss generally. I couldn't square that the same manufacturer could produce these brilliant lenses and Diafuns.

Lee,
I am of the opinion that you misjudge the quality of the CL Companion. I have thouroughly tested the CL and it is better then the SLC New 8x30, both from the point of view of optical performance as well comfort of handling is concerned. Apart from the test results I have also investigated its performance as a travel binocular under different conditions: long distance walking, birding, backpacking in the mountains, in humid conditions, at temperatues ranging from minus 15 Celsius up to 35 Celsius and it performed very well in all these circumstances and it was very handy to use. Yes, the field of view is smaller than that of the 8x32 SV, Victory FL or Ultravid HD, but that did not disturb me. Do not forget that the sharp field of view of the eye is limited and one has to scan over the FOV to watch it entirely. So, I do not quite understand the negative atmosphere around this binocular, it is very small and lightweight and it is much handier than an 8x20 compact. The Diafun is of a very different caliber, I have investigated its qualities also some years ago and I was not impressed and it most certainly never reached the popularity the CL already has for many customers.
Gijs

So, you think they are worth the money? Any others you can think of offer better value? Or, is it just Swaro-time all the time?

Lee,
Gijs

Hi Gijs

We can certainly agree about Diafun!
I expect to visit a bins shop in the near future and I will give the CL another try, bearing in mind your comments.

Lee

Norm, really? Referencing BVD? If you say so! I thought this guy a clown about a decade ago when he was still partially relevant.

The Tasco bins I envisioned were the $20 types that grandparents buy for their grandchildren as stocking stuffers. In retrospect my comment might have been unfair to Tasco.

I know this probably reads as pretty harsh but really those Diafuns were quite the piece of...

Here are my recollections, FWIW....

The hinge squeaked when moved, the hard plastic body was slippery and cold, the focus wheel had SO much stiction that it would spring back to out of focus when released, and the fit and finish looked like it, um, wasn't finished.

Optically? I just don't recall as the rest was so unacceptable.

At the time I looked at Diafuns I had a Contax G rangefinder camera with three Zeiss lenses. I was in love with the quality and brilliant optics of these and considered myself a big fan of Zeiss generally. I couldn't square that the same manufacturer could produce these brilliant lenses and Diafuns.

Kevin,

So you're the one who thought the Diafun was a piece 'o... I mentioned this on the Terra ED thread, but got static from someone who thought the bin was decent.

On that thread, one member called the Terra ED the "Terrafun," recalling Zeiss' first foray into the "Volksbin" price point. I didn't post the sale because I thought it was a "bargain," but because you don't see these for sale that often, no less three samples. For Zeiss fans, it might be a "collectible".

A Diafun was selling in the used dept. of one of the NYC camera dealers last year, and the price was about the same as the eBay seller's. I don't know how much they originally sold for, but as I've seen with other bins, collectors are willing to pay a premium for a "rare bird". The Diafuns, like the original Victorys, had an unusual shape. Sort of Art Deco.

It would interesting to see how the Terra ED compares to the Diafun. Sort of like the original VW Beetle vs. the company's latest offering. Collectors prefer the originals in this case.

As to Ingraham being a "clown," he laughs all the way to the bank when he cashes his check from Carl Zeiss! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2kxlZDOHeQ

<B>

I don't know how much they originally sold for
The BVD link I gave in post #5 indicates retail was about $500; same as Pentax DCF WP and Fujinon CD models.
I think SteveC is another who didn't like the Diafuns and am sure there are others. They were advertised as phase coated though ;)

Hi Kevin

Being rude about someone doesn't make you more perceptive or incisive.

It just makes you rude.

Lee

You know, I can't argue with that Lee. In my attempt to be concise I wound up sounding rude.

I remember well his site, the controversies, and the discussions here on this forum about BVD. I could have said that he was often contradictory, had redundant categories for his proclamations , and had a penchant for hyperbole. He used questionable and un-scientific methodology, and he also had affiliations with several manufacturers.

At least this is how I recall this blast from the past.

James Holdsworth,
You asked three questions in your posts
-1-Is the CL worth its money? Depends how you judge its performance in combination with the quality of the aftersales service. I liked to have them for a lower price, but as a perfect travel binocular I would certainly save money to buy one.
-2- Is the CL a better value then others. No, I think the Leica Ultravid HD 8x32, the Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 and the Swarovski 8x32 El are better but more expensive, heavier and bigger. I know that the Nikon 8x30 EII is cheaper and has a larger FOV, but for travel I find it too bulky, too heavy and it is not waterproof. The Nikon SE 8x32, an icon on this forum, is in Holland more expensive then the CL Companion, it is beautiful and it has a fine FOV but is too heavy and too bulky as a travel binocular.
-3- Your question 3 has a nasty undertone, which I will ignore. No it is not Swarotime all the time, but when an instruments scores allright from whatever making than this can especially on this forum be discussed I thought.
If the CL is too expensive for many users I would choose the Kite Petrel 8x32, also compact, half the price of a CL but not as bright and not so compact, (and like the Zeiss Conquest HD made by Kamakura). However, waterproof, easy exchangeable eyecups and excellent aftersales service.
For your Information: the Zeiss Conquest HD would not be on my list as a travel binocular, since I find it too heavy, although it is cheaper than the CL.
Gijs

Kevin,

So you're the one who thought the Diafun was a piece 'o... I mentioned this on the Terra ED thread, but got static from someone who thought the bin was decent.
<B>

I don't know about being the "one" Brock. Maybe one of many.

I have no experience with the Terra ED or Swaro's CL but I'd lay odds that they're far better than the old Diafun.

People seem to be better informed these days -and- there are many more high quality choices at the price point these bins compete, now vs then.

added: Tears of a Clown- awesome song! Motown classic. Smoky did that the other night when he was the guest on Live From Daryl's House.

Last edited:
You know, I can't argue with that Lee. In my attempt to be concise I wound up sounding rude.

I remember well his site, the controversies, and the discussions here on this forum about BVD. I could have said that he was often contradictory, had redundant categories for his proclamations , and had a penchant for hyperbole. He used questionable and un-scientific methodology, and he also had affiliations with several manufacturers.

At least this is how I recall this blast from the past.

Kevin

Your description could fit many posters on BF, including, sometimes, me. LOL.

Lee

I find the referenced original price of the Diafun interesting. I believe it to be accurate as I remember BVD doing a "$500 roof binocular" shoot out article where, IIRC, the Diafun was included. At that price point and considering their performance and competition at the time I would agree that they were overpriced. The Conquest 8x30 that followed/replaced it eventually was infinitely better optically and with the more conventional, and preferable IMO, eyecups. I remember when Zeiss has the Conquest 8x30s regularly sold at $400 with demo used models between $300-$350.

Then the prices skyrocketed over subsequent years and the last I noticed they were going for $600.

As for the comments about BVD I would agree that some controversy arose at times over a variety of issues. I, personally, give credit where it is due though. It was that site that I found fascinating, informative and a good reference. I don't remember reading any other site, at the time, that provided as much info about so many models. Mr. Ingraham also has the ability to relate a variety of optical concepts to the average person. I, for one, felt educated after reading the reviews and articles on the site.

In addition, if you actually met the man you might be surprised. He certainly wasn't what I expected the first time I met him. He is intelligent and soft spoken. He doesn't have the chip on his shoulder that I found with some other optics reps that I have had the chance to meet. He doesn't come off as the salesman when you speak to him. Quite the opposite actually. He just seems like another one of us who was skilled and lucky enough to turn his hobby/passion into a profession.

Last edited:
I find the referenced original price of the Diafun interesting. I believe it to be accurate as I remember BVD doing a "$500 roof binocular" shoot out article where, IIRC, the Diafun was included. At that price point and considering their performance and competition at the time I would agree that they were overpriced. The Conquest 8x30 that followed/replaced it eventually was infinitely better optically and with the more conventional, and preferable IMO, eyecups. I remember when Zeiss has the Conquest 8x30s regularly sold at $400 with demo used models between $300-$350.

Then the prices skyrocketed over subsequent years and the last I noticed they were going for $600.

As for the comments about BVD I would agree that some controversy arose at times over a variety of issues. I, personally, give credit where it is due though. It was that site that I found fascinating, informative and a good reference. I don't remember reading any other site, at the time, that provided as much info about so many models. Mr. Ingraham also has the ability to relate a variety of optical concepts to the average person. I, for one, felt educated after reading the reviews and articles on the site.

In addition, if you actually met the man you might be surprised. He certainly wasn't what I expected the first time I met him. He is intelligent and soft spoken. He doesn't have the chip on his shoulder that I found with some other optics reps that I have had the chance to meet. He doesn't come off as the salesman when you speak to him. Quite the opposite actually. He just seems like another one of us who was skilled and lucky enough to turn his hobby/passion into a profession.

So if the Conquest 8x30 was "infinitely better" than the Diafun, I guess that would take the Conquest HD to INFINITY AND BEYOND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VSYmGSJtCA

Well, as we know now, the Conquest followed the Diafun, but it didn't replace it, the Terra ED did. I'm not sure about "infinity" but from the first report on the Terra ED, it seems it would at least qualify for a "beyond".

Thanks for that insider info on Ingraham. I suspected that he was neither a "clown" nor a "chucklehead," and considering that he's built like a Grizzly, I don't think it would be wise to call him names!

<Buzz>

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back