• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss USA Customer Service, the saga begins (1 Viewer)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello all,

I have noticed a tendency on the BF binocular forums for people to obsess over small things. Today, I am going to obsess over my Zeiss 8x32 FL. On Friday, I idly tried to twist up the left eye cup, only to find it frozen in the down position. In fact, that is where I usually keep them but I wanted to see how well I could use the FL without my glasses, in full daylight. Needless to write, I was unhappy at this malfunction.

So following other obsessed BF binocular users, I start a thread on my experiences.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
I'm sure they will make it right. For me, however, it took 4 tries with 4 different 10x25 Victory Compacts and several months before all was well, or at least mostly well.

Insist on them paying the freight both ways, they can and should send you prepaid shipping labels so there is no cost to you for fixing a defect that's not your fault.

Hello all,

I have noticed a tendency on the BF binocular forums for people to obsess over small things. Today, I am going to obsess over my Zeiss 8x32 FL. On Friday, I idly tried to twist up the left eye cup, only to find it frozen in the down position. In fact, that is where I usually keep them but I wanted to see how well I could the FL without my glasses, in full daylight. Needless to write, I was unhappy at this malfunction.

So following other obsessed BF binocular users, I start a thread on my experiences.

Happy bird watching,

Did you try to unscrew the entire eyepiece assembly? You should be able to see and [maybe] fix the problem.

Why not just ask Zeiss to send the entire assembly as replacement - simple.

Did you try to unscrew the entire eyepiece assembly? You should be able to see and [maybe] fix the problem.

Why not just ask Zeiss to send the entire assembly as replacement - simple.

Hello James,

I could not figure out how it was attached. Beyond that, the alpha firms have peculiar terms for the warranties, like unauthorized repairs invalidate the warranty.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

The Saga continues

I'm sure they will make it right. For me, however, it took 4 tries with 4 different 10x25 Victory Compacts and several months before all was well, or at least mostly well.

Insist on them paying the freight both ways, they can and should send you prepaid shipping labels so there is no cost to you for fixing a defect that's not your fault.

Hello OsageArcher,

I never thought of that. Instead I journeyed to the distant FEDEX office, a trek of perhaps 250 metres, through the drizzle and paid almost $18, say £11, much for insurance, for it to be sent to faraway Virginia, a trip of more than 300 km. I have been assured that Red Indians will not delay its arrival, but that it is expected to arrive in two business days.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Hello all,

I have noticed a tendency on the BF binocular forums for people to obsess over small things. Today, I am going to obsess over my Zeiss 8x32 FL. On Friday, I idly tried to twist up the left eye cup, only to find it frozen in the down position. In fact, that is where I usually keep them but I wanted to see how well I could use the FL without my glasses, in full daylight. Needless to write, I was unhappy at this malfunction.

Happy bird watching,

Hi Art

Have the eyepieces always been in the down position since you obtained the bins? Or did they come into your hands with eyecups in the up position? I suppose I am wondering if you have successfully screwed them up and down in the past.

Lee

Hi Art

Have the eyepieces always been in the down position since you obtained the bins? Or did they come into your hands with eyecups in the up position? I suppose I am wondering if you have successfully screwed them up and down in the past.

Lee

Hello Lee,

I have screwed them up and down in the past. I believe that I may have banged the binocular on that side, so it may actually be damaged. We will see what Zeiss finds.

Happy bird watching,

Hello all,

I have noticed a tendency on the BF binocular forums for people to obsess over small things.
Happy bird watching,

This is an ever so slight exegaration. Applying these standards to any other consumer-good, most bino-freaks wouldnt own a car, refrigerator, camera or any other technical piece of equipment for lack of qulity or craftmanship|:D|

At the level of quality expected - and largely provided - by the "alpha" makers I don't think that's really obsessing! All four of them are remiss at times. I was once saved only by the excellent service of a retailer. As for Oetzi's list I don't know about a comparison in fridges, but among cars and cameras I'd be surprised if Rolls or Hasselblad responded to a customer the way Zeiss has to Joe as reported in another thread.

Last edited:
The eyepieces screw out quite easily if you keep screwing them beyond the highest setting, but mine were tight. Try the "good" side first.

Zeiss UK sent me a later replacement set with the rounded eye cups that I prefer. They were for me to fit, so there shouldn't be a warranty problem with replacing them yourself. However, be careful as the threads are very fine and could be easily cross threaded.

Why not ask Zeiss for guidance if you are still unsure.

Stan

Last edited:
The eyepieces screw out quite easily if you keep screwing them beyond the highest setting, but mine were tight. Try the "good" side first.

Zeiss UK sent me a later replacement set with the rounded eye cups that I prefer. They were for me to fit, so there shouldn't be a warranty problem with replacing them yourself. However, be careful as the threads are very fine and could be easily cross threaded.

Why not ask Zeiss for guidance if you are still unsure.

Stan

I am currently of the opinion, that the eyepiece has been deformed by a knock. I would rather Zeiss dealt with it, then my trying to force something. I may be overly cautious but the binocular is already halfway to Zeiss USA.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Arrived

Hello all,

According to the shipper, my glass has been in possession of Zeiss USA, since 0950, Eastern Daylight Saving Time. I will give them until Friday, to contact me 'phone or by email, before I make any inquiry.

Happy bird watching,

Hello all,

According to the shipper, my glass has been in possession of Zeiss USA, since 0950, Eastern Daylight Saving Time. I will give them until Friday, to contact me 'phone or by email, before I make any inquiry.

Happy bird watching,

We are all holding our breath Art (gasp)......

Lee

Arthur,

I've had prompt and courteous service from Zeiss with my 7x42 BGATP on two occasions. They repaired a broken ocular ring and completely replaced the old smelly rubber. I bought new eyecups, but the originals still function. Keeping in mind that they also knew that I was not the original owner, it was amazing that it was all covered under the transferrable lifetime warranty, and done very quickly. And it didn't go back to Germany. And they paid the return postage. And they gave me a $25 gift certificate when I bought the new eyecups. Any they gave me a free lens cleaning kit, on both occasions.

Be of good cheer. Good things are about to happen. 3:)

Best regards,
Ed

Hello Ed,

I have had one previous, happy and prompt experience with Zeiss USA. I bought a 7x42 BGAT, which had a focussing problem. I delayed returning it to the vendor, but Zeiss provided 2 weeks of turnaround.

Happy bird watching,

Pinewood, I'm not much of a Zeiss FL fan, but I do have a pair of 8x20 Victory's. I bought them on a good sale with the promise that a $100 rebate applied to the purchase. Turns out the model I bought did not fall under the $100 rebate... found this out after a couple emails to Zeiss USA. But a manager there took it upon himself to make sure I got the rebate anyway as he believed it was promised to me.

Tell you what, that kind of customer service is impressive!

Based on my limited experience with Zeiss USA, I have no doubt they will get your FL's sorted out.

the beat goes on

Hello all,

I have just spoke with Karen at Zeiss USA. My binocular was logged into the system and will be repaired under warranty. It is in queue, but the time for service is dependent upon parts availability. Zeiss USA should know more on Tuesday, the seventh inst.

So far, so good.

I attach an image of my bird of the the day, a warbling vireo, painted by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, from The Birds of New York, 1910, 1914, v.2.

I have been using a Zeiss 8x30 ClassiC, of late.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• warbling vireo.jpg
    warbling vireo.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I have just spoke with Karen at Zeiss USA. My binocular was logged into the system and will be repaired under warranty. It is in queue, but the time for service is dependent upon parts availability. Zeiss USA should know more on Tuesday, the seventh inst. <snip>

I have been using a Zeiss 8x30 ClassiC, of late.

Sounds good. And the 8x30 Classic is such a nice binocular you surely can do without your FL for a few days ... :)

Hermann

Hello Hermann,

My biggest complaint about the ClassiC, is that one has to beware of the sun when using it. When the sun is near the target, one gets glare; when the sun is low and to the side, light reflects from the eyepiece [I keep the cups down] A proper hat can provide enough shading to take care of the latter problem. The Classic is still an excellent glass for stadia, and for arenas but just a little too powerful for theatre or for the opera.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

A friend of my got t-boned by someone running a redlight, crushing his trunk where his FL's were. The bins were badly damaged, with the central hinge broken.

He sent them to Zeiss, who fixed them - no charge.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back