• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olive-backed Pipit and Gt Grey Shrike Bahrain (1 Viewer)

Yep, Motmot, it seems that there is not so big difference between these species in all cases, but this feature varies individually (at least in Tree). But obviously almost pale outer web as in this case fits better for Tree?

interesting case indeed

this a truely interesting and important occasion to study more in depth and details some ID problems, otherwise that seems so easy from general filed guides...
And also discover how much we have still to learn and check and how great its nature variability

Cheers

Thanks Motmot for the info and comments

Andrea C

Lars Svensson replied to my mail and indeed he think is a Tree Pipit, the Shrike is a pallidirostris as I thought too

Ciao

Andrea Corso

Lars Svensson replied to my mail and indeed he think is a Tree Pipit, the Shrike is a pallidirostris as I thought too

Ciao

Andrea Corso

Brendan got the mail he will reply tomorrow he said - He has ringed two Tree Pipit here during the current project I think before we had digital cameras though - Brendan will fish out those details as well - He is inclined his says to agree with the diagnosis - we really do exist in a vacumn here and have read every word and comment made very carefully - and really do appreciate the time and effort people have made in their replies Thanks -

So - Andrea, we where right from the begining. ;)

And I don´t mean it as a silly competition thing, just that it was quite an obvious non Olive-backed Pipit on plumage characters alone, and much better for Tree on plumage characters alone.

JanJ

Last edited:
We have found the images taken for the previously 2 ringed Tree Pipit here in Bahrain I shall in the next few days put these up on my web site along with the measurements taken at the time for each. I shall post here when complete

Hi Jan J

Indeed

but not at all a competition,

I hate when people take birding as so, and it happen to me too many times...

birding its sharing, learning daily, be wrong and then correct time to time (in rapotrs I'm hardly wrong :) and discuss oin a civil way all the arguments...

that's why I like very much Killian Mullarney, when I'm wrong in some photos he is always very kind in explaining why and in a very nice way....

Not the case for many Italian ornithologists... :-(

Cheers

Andrea C

Still these first two new pics is from Tree Pipit.
The third pic (Juhani's pic) is taken 10th of April and probably 2cy bird, which all median coverts have been moulted and the some inner greater coverts seems to be juvenile type.

As you say...it is nice to change our mind and always the best way to learn...

but it seems now to me that there is somebody who wouldn't like and is not prone at all to listen to experienced birders (and not talking about me but about the MASTER of the ringers and birders Mr. Svensson) and change mind...

so: YOUR BIRD with this new pictures IS INDEED 1000% and even more now a TREE PIPIT albeit a small one...

do you need more opinions?

I'll ask for if you like

I tried to be very polite and kind but it seems we need even more expertise opinions to re-enforce our idea (and it seems that here everybody agreed its a Tree P.)....

cheers

Andrea CORSO

Ahhh, I forgot....

Its called Olive BACKED ... not Olive - RUMPED
amnd looks at the longest uppertail coverts too... very indicative

Ciao

;-)

AC

That was Brendan's conclusion as well - been interesting - a good learning curdve for us and thanks again for all the critical assistance much appreciated -

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back