• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12 hours near Detroit Airport (1 Viewer)

George Edwards

Nom de plume
I had an option to spend 12 hrs at Detroit Airport, coming back from Brazil, when booking a flight recently.

In the end I booked a more direct flight, but just in case I need to change dates again when I'm there, does anyone know if there are any nice places near Detroit?

I've never done any US birding so even common birds would be good, and it has to be somewhere safe enough to pull out a large camera :) Ideally I'd get a taxi there and back, or public transport if it exists.

Thanks.

Just in case you are still interested, try Crosswinds Marsh Preserve. Here is some information: http://michigantrailmaps.com/Wayne/Crosswinds/CrosswindsIntro.html. Ebird shows that 212 species have been found there which isn't bad. It is about 10 miles from the airport. Also, along the Huron River, which is between the airport and Crosswinds, there is a chain of Metroparks (Lower Huron, Oakwoods, Willow, Lake Erie) which can be birded as well (but Crosswinds does have a greater range of species). Detroit is where I was born and I still have family there - that's why I am familiar with the area.

Oh boy that looks perfect ! I'm really regretting having not gone the long route on the way back now, I'm sure I could have added a good dozen birds to my trip photos… Still, there is a chance I can still change my ticket later, and if not I'll definitely remember Detroit for stopovers on a future trip. Many thanks, Greg.

George, point pelee is just down the road. Depending on the time of year and wind conditions this spot can be superb

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back