• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

Flitcham had a lot to offer today , big flocks of Yellowhammer , Linnets , Chaffinch's a few Reed Buntings , Tree Sparrow's , Grey Partridge & 1 Little Owl

Additional numbers to previous wintery posts -

Sunday - 3 Goldeneye flying across the coast road in Bacton, Bullfinches by the road from Kelling to Salthouse Heath (much slippy!), of note - only four cars at Cley Beach

Tuesday - 2 drake Goosander and a Grey Plover past Yarmouth (was hoping for a Smew tbh)

Good numbers of pochard,gadwall,teal, a few wigeon,3 goldeneye, 4 little & 14 g.c. grebes and a couple of snipe today on the large broad.The small broad is completly frozen over.Also good numbers in the small broad on Thorpe Marsh mainly gadwall,teal,b.h.gulls and a water rail.

Caught site of the Water Rail at Thorpe Marshes today. It's shreiking call alerted me to it's presence. I managed to get into a position at the head of the dyke where I could look long it's length and there it was. Got a good view of it before it skulked off into the reeds and disapeared.

Last edited:
Additional numbers to previous wintery posts -

Sunday - 3 Goldeneye flying across the coast road in Bacton, Bullfinches by the road from Kelling to Salthouse Heath (much slippy!), of note - only four cars at Cley Beach

Tuesday - 2 drake Goosander and a Grey Plover past Yarmouth (was hoping for a Smew tbh)

This one wasn't too far north of there...

James

Attachments

• Smew redhead, Waxham - 07.02.2012.jpg
    Smew redhead, Waxham - 07.02.2012.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 138
That is quite exceptional Johny! A look at the most recent bird report just lists breeding records, no mention of a flock like this and I have certainly never seen the like. Perhaps some more experienced members of the forum can add something to this record?

Cheers,
Jim.

I've recorded about 1200 bird/days for Green Woodpecker over the last 25 years and the largest count I've had in that time was 6 - and that was over a largish site with several territories. So yes, I'd say this was a pretty amazing record!

Smews all over the place today - on days like this I really wish I didn't have to work for a living! I've never seen a Smew on any local patch I've ever had, despite these including reservoirs, gravel pits and a coastal seawatch site. Today would have been a good day to break that run!

Brisk walk around High Ash Farm produced good flock of linnet and winter thrushes but the highlight was a "flock" of at least 18 green woodpecker feeding where the snow was thinnest! amazing sight.
I posted this reply before but then deleted it. You could consider contacting Chris Skinner, the owner of High Ash Farm. He is very interested in the wildlife on his farm and would probably be very interested in this sighting. He might also be able to add some further information on the numbers of Green Woodpeckers at the site. You might even get a mention on his radio broadcast. ;)

http://www.highashfarm.com/index.htm

Ron

Last edited:
More on Green Woodpecker flocks, having just checked BWPi...

According to BWP Green Woodpeckers are, "Normally solitary outside breeding season" but one study located 8-11 birds roosting in an area 16 km2 and another located up to 10 roosting in a church wall. I agree with John: an observation that's worthy of a note to BB!

Well-proportioned movie stars, all that drill and the Church ?

I am in danger of straying in to scientific territory, since I have not done a biological/zoological/ecological/environmental degree, but wouldn’t that first figure
8-11 birds roosting in an area 16 km2 and another located up to 10 roosting in a church wall
refer to population density, Dave ? The 2nd would seem more applicable, in this context- although I’d not thought of them as having a particularly religious bent, especially with all that drilling !

More seriously, HBW mentions their susceptibility to ‘harsh winter weather’, in terms of ‘major mortality’, which can result in population numbers dropping ‘for years’. With the much greater severity of conditions on the Continent, the European population may well decrease markedly.

Who or what is BB, John?

When I was your age, ‘BB’ was used as an abbreviation for both Brigitte Bardot and British Birds, with the majority of the public being much more aware of the former- and her format. Samantha Fox would be a more recent comparison- but even she dates me. (Would that were the case, the little vixen!) The homonym (bardeau), of ‘Bardot’, her father's name, interestingly, means ‘clapboard’ which, of course, is movie related.

Woodcock garden Norwich

Flushed a Woodcock from our suburban garden in Norwich day before yesterday!! Would have preferred it, if it had sat tight for its photo though.

I would be very very happy to hear of any others in gardens around here...that could potentially be photographed.

Thanks

Robin

Abraham's Bosom at Wells had 20 Goosander ( 10 drakes) and 2 red-head Smew at lunchtime today. Phoned them in but unfortunately only the Smew made it. The Goosander were quite close and photogenic too....

Abraham's Bosom at Wells had 20 Goosander ( 10 drakes) and 2 red-head Smew at lunchtime today. Phoned them in but unfortunately only the Smew made it. The Goosander were quite close and photogenic too....

If you want the news of less rare things to go out, submit it via birdguides - as they aren't called Rare Bird Alert they dont have the same kind of filters. I submit news of rare birds to RBA as the news tends to get out much faster, however news of things such as Goosander at UEA or a good count of green sands at Cantley I would submit to Birdguides (this way it is also submitted into the bto Birdtrack data (i think). Anyway at least the less rare news then gets out to interested parties.

Titchwell February 8th

Today's highlights

Coues arctic redpoll- 1 along main path
smew - 3 redheads on grazing marsh then flew towards Holme
Bittern - 3 on grazing marsh pool, 1 in main reedbed
Long tailed duck - 4 offshore
Velvet scoter - 2 drakes offshore
Spoonbill - 2 east
Water pipit - 4 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 1 on brackish marsh

I am now swaning off to India until the end of the month so there won't be
any updates from here for a few weeks. Enjoy the snow!

Paul

Surprised to hear Goosanders not considered newsworthy. Surely this was what the local Norfolk/Suffolk channel was for. Smew are considered newsworthy so why not add plus 20 Goosanders (a noteworthy number) in brackets after, this doesn't require an extra message. I'm sure quite a few birders would go to see that number.

If you want the news of less rare things to go out, submit it via birdguides - as they aren't called Rare Bird Alert they dont have the same kind of filters. I submit news of rare birds to RBA as the news tends to get out much faster, however news of things such as Goosander at UEA or a good count of green sands at Cantley I would submit to Birdguides (this way it is also submitted into the bto Birdtrack data (i think). Anyway at least the less rare news then gets out to interested parties.

Interesting..but it doesn't really solve the problem as the news still doesn't get to my pager in the field... because although the pager people may well 'scavenge' the news from Birdguides, they still won't put it out. I have to say that I would have thought a close flock of 20 Goosander was more noteworthy ( at least in a local context) than the umpteenth fly-over Waxwing in a Waxwing year.

While maintaining the sluices at Strumpshaw I had 14 Goosander fly East, 1 male Scaup on the river (annoyingly briefly) and 24+ Whooper swans flying South, in 2 groups. If only there was some water on the reserve then we may have a Smew or two.

Edit: it appears there are some on the reserve after all- at Rockland

Last edited:
Goose news noose- no excoose for this looseness

If you look at ‘News for a single species’, on the RBA website and then select ‘Norfolk’, you will see that Goosander has been mentioned in 2 reports since 2010. In 2009 and previously, there were DOZENS of reports.

It is obvious there has been a change of policy, in some way, and the flow of news about this species has been choked.

Someone has had something against the poor, handsome creature since the beginning of last year, as there is also a dearth of records in 2011 for the whole of the UK.

These are mergy waters indeed. Should the SIS be involved ? Should someone, even now, be red-faced, rather than a redhead ? !

Watch this space, for the next installment of this cliff-hanger; OK, I know they nest in holes in trees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back