• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (21 Viewers)

Cantley & Buckenham Marshes

Managed a poor digiscope pic of the temmincks stint at Cantley in the heat haze,the stint didn't stay long and flew off high calling and disappeared in the direction of Buckenham.Also on the same pool were greenshank and 2 ringed plover. At Buckenham no sign of the pec sand or the stint but hobbies and garganey on view.

Attachments

• temm stint.jpg
    temm stint.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 150
Two lovely Turtle Doves at Holme this evening along the back of the bungalows, behind the NWT pay hut, 2 Wheatears on the NWT Forestry, several Whitethroats, Cetti's Warbler, Barn Owl. NOA Warden Sophie said tomorrow should be good.....dawn start!:t:

Heard and saw my first local cuckoo, it called and then did a lovely slow flight pass before briefly perching in an ash tree at the end of my garden. Heart-warming to experience and what mornings are about before dragging my sorry a**e off to work.

Later on, managed to jam into 3 Common Cranes flying West and fairly low over Cley Marshes.....frantic car pursuit to intercept them nearer Salthouse.

Last edited:
If anyone is in the vicinity of UEA and fancies wandering down to the Broad, there was a warbler singing there by the bridge over the river late this morning which was puzzling me. I was out for a run and picked up the song as I approached - repetitive, same phrase repeated 3-5 times then a new one, very similar in style to a song thrush. Very striking, powerful song, quite melodious. I'm no expert but I'm familiar with the 7 different warblers I can hear on that regular run I do (chiffchaff, willow, blackcap, garden, reed, sedge, Cetti's), and this was not one of them.

I hung around for 10 minutes but it never emerged from the deep scrub apart from giving me the occasional glimpse before heading back in. There was a girl trying to take a photo of the bird, and had managed to get an indistinct shot of it singing, which just showed the top half of a brownish warbler with no obvious distinguishing feature such as eyestripe.

No, definitely not a garden warbler. Strangely enough there was something reminiscent about the nightingale about the bird, I thought - but it wasn't one of those either. But it does make me realise that I rather jumped to the conclusion that it was a warbler, because of its little brown skulkiness, its insectivore's bill, and its powerful song, when some thrushes fit the description too.

Managed a poor digiscope pic of the temmincks stint at Cantley in the heat haze,the stint didn't stay long and flew off high calling and disappeared in the direction of Buckenham.Also on the same pool were greenshank and 2 ringed plover. At Buckenham no sign of the pec sand or the stint but hobbies and garganey on view.

Nice bird. Well done with that. It may still be in the area and worth keeping an eye open for. I dipped the bird at Hickling, Rush Hill yesterday but I see its been back today so hopefully both will hang around for a few days yet.

Steve.

No, definitely not a garden warbler. Strangely enough there was something reminiscent about the nightingale about the bird, I thought - but it wasn't one of those either. But it does make me realise that I rather jumped to the conclusion that it was a warbler, because of its little brown skulkiness, its insectivore's bill, and its powerful song, when some thrushes fit the description too.

Nightingale used to be regular in that area when I was at UEA in the late 80s/early 90s.

Please god let it be there tomorrow, only got back from turkey about 7.30pm tonight. Got to try at dawn before work. Well done to marcus on a cracking find

CITRIL FINCH, Burnham Overy Dunes – 10th May. Stunning bird and a fabulous last day to my holiday! Found by Marcus Nash – thank you so much and congratulationsB :):t:;)

Attachments

• IMG_4594 crop.jpg
    IMG_4594 crop.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4985 crop.jpg
    IMG_4985 crop.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5003 crop.jpg
    IMG_5003 crop.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 95
Nightjar - there are a few in but it's still quite early for them. I've not been out looking for any, so wouldn't want to recommend any spots in the Brecks. In a few weeks time, you'll be able to find them in most clear-fell areas in the Brecks.

Towards the coast - Dersingham Bog might be your best bet.

Titchwell May 11th

Today's highlights

Bittern - male booming in reedbed
Spoonbill - immature on fresh marsh early morning
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 9 (8 drakes) on Patsy's reedbed
Grasshopper warbler - male reeling near dead trees early morning
Spotted flycatcher - 1 on Fen Trail this morning
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Garganey - pair on fresh marsh
Scaup - drake still present on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 2 on grazing meadow