• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk: other insects (2 Viewers)

Hoverfly Kelling WM

Had a Hornet mimic, Volucella zonaria at Kelling WM today, first time I have noted this species. Are they common?

Kieran

2014 Bee-fly.

My first Bee-fly of the year yesterday, in a sheltered, sunny spot in the garden.

Thomas

Attachments

• Bee-fly,-24-3-'14.jpg
    Bee-fly,-24-3-'14.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 65
We spotted several of these colourful little beetles in the heather at Winterton yesterday but I didn't know what they were. After a bit of research it seems that they are Green Tiger Beetles and nothing to do with NCFC.

Ron

Attachments

• Tiger beetle small.jpg
    Tiger beetle small.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 74
Ramsons Hoverfly

Please look out for this rare/scarce/under-recorded hoverfly Portevinia maculata, which is dependent on Wild Garlic aka Ramsons.

Black abdomen, with squarish grey markings and orange antennae.

Report patches of the Garlic to Stuart Paston (stuartpaston AT yahoo.co.uk) or Tony Irwin (tony.irwin AT btinternet.com).

Even better, spot one of the hovers; the attached is from Warren Woods this afternoon- first tagged by keen-eyed Simon C.

They can also be recorded here: http://nbis.org.uk/ramsonshoverfly

It’s best to visit when the sun shines !

Attachments

• 260pse.jpg
    260pse.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Ramsons hoverfly,

Plenty at Ashwellthorpe woods yesterday, very nice too. I've not found any ramsons in the mid yare yet, the humus levels and ancient woodland required are not features associated with the broads.

Email sent to the above regarding my sightings

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up, Ben. I had a very pleasant time at Ashwellthorpe this week, on an enforced (car business) trip to Norwich.

Probably 20 Ramsons hoverflies quietly flaunted themselves on The Garlic (much of which has ‘gone over’), mainly in shadier areas.

Accompaniment was provided by a gorgeous Volucella inflata and many V. bombylans, of various hues. An attractive Sloe Bug Dolycoris baccarum was a distraction.

Attachments

• 002pse.jpg
    002pse.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 266pse.jpg
    266pse.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 183pse.jpg
    183pse.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 435pse.jpg
    435pse.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 502pse.jpg
    502pse.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 59
Possible confusion species hovers at Ashwellthorpe

I was puzzled, when I reached home and viewed the hundreds of pix I took there on my monitor. There were several that didn't quite fit 'Ramsons'. I searched through Stubbs & Falk (the illustrated 'HoverBible') and Ball & Morris (the extremely useful, 'new' photographic guide), to no avail.

Emails to the County Recorder revealed the ID as female Cheilosia pagana. This is, according to those who know (not me), a member of a troublesome genus. Even more so, when this species is not illustrated in the former and shown with closed wings in the latter- and, moreover, has orange antennae, like the Ramsons !

Finally, I attach a mostly hairless (very worn) Bee-fly, which caused me more pondering; but, it is Bombylius major, our usual species.

Attachments

• 094pse female Cheilosia pagana.jpg
    094pse female Cheilosia pagana.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 026pse2 female Cheilosia pagana.jpg
    026pse2 female Cheilosia pagana.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 537pse.jpg
    537pse.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 63
Volucella inflata (LH) and Sericomyia silentis (RH) hovers at Holt CP today, both the other side of the red/green trail from the circled cross.

Attachments

• 140pse.jpg
    140pse.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 268pe.jpg
    268pe.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Holt_Country_Park_map.jpg
    Holt_Country_Park_map.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 58
Hornet mimic

This beauty was at Cantley today: since it looked like a Hornet and was the size of a Hornet, I'm assuming it was a Hornet mimic hoverfly...

Attachments

• Huge hornet fly.jpg
    Huge hornet fly.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 65
Splayed Deerfly

Below can be seen a coupla pix of a striking Splayed Deerfly Chrysops caecutiens.

They were taken in Holt CP, where the fly was ‘doing a Suarez’ to the shoulder of one of the rangers. For this first offence, a disciplinary committee has not been convened.

Attachments

• 017pse Splayed Deerfly Chrysops caecutiens.jpg
    017pse Splayed Deerfly Chrysops caecutiens.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 022pse.jpg
    022pse.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 71
Having unsuccessfully attempted to find parking down Lady Anne's (silly me: first day of state school hols !), I diverted to Warham Greens. This proved a more sensible move.

I'd expected some large hoverflies, since they'd been seen this week in other places- and was not disappointed with several Volucella inanis.

What was a surprise- nay, e'en a 'delight'- was a Cockchafer, lurking up a bush. In the attempt to snap it, it was accidentally dislodged. This is the first I've seen on the ground in the UK- my previous scurrying sighting being on a forest road in Poland.

Attachments

• 053pse.jpg
    053pse.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 153pse.jpg
    153pse.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 75
Thats a very late cockchafer John. This spring was exceptional one for them at Swanton Novers with as many as 40 a night caught in the moth traps back in May , but there have been none since late May.

Thats a very late cockchafer

Not ‘late’, at all: very much in the land of the quick, rather than the dead ! (Sorry.) Although it did crawl slowly, when the person holding back the leaves for a photo dislodged it. He said his cats were fascinated by them; but didn’t eat them.

I know they attend moth traps (forty !)- unlike me, this year.

There were hundreds of these cousins to the Bee-fly Villa paniscus in Holkham Dunes yesterday.

Attachments

• 137pse.jpg
    137pse.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 81
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back